hehe..

I'm actually suprised how quickly our engine came together. I spent most of stage 1 messing around with code, sussing out the things I figured I'd need. I did plan on keeping my engine nicely oo, but time is against me, so its becoming one of those irritating projects where code is moving from one place to another to cater for feature requirements and such like. This pathfinding is a good example, I should have read about it before I got started... then I could have included costing data... as it is, I now have to modify my editor, shift onto version 5 of one part of my map data format and modify the engine to handle the new data (:? tool time).

That said, it will be worth it as the pathfinding is looking good considering. It didn't actually have that many bugs, they were mainly in one of the storage classes. I don't think its as fast as it could be, but I've not got the time at the moment to run it through the profiler and optimize it that will come later. That said, I've have no idea on the kind of performance I should expect. I'm running an Athlon 800, Win2K server. I have a testbed app (more tool time ;-) ). For benchmarking, it generates a random map 40 x 40 and trys to path from 0,0 to 19,19. Its taking about 18ms to calculate a path, regardless of whether it fails or not. Any comments on how that looks in terms of performance?

As for AI, I've got some ideas, nothing too fancy, just enough to make it nice :-)

tux... its bad. I swore I was going to go to bed early tonight to make up for only having 3 hours sleep last night and yet here I sit at nearly midnight, tinkering with my path finder :shock: