Quote Originally Posted by savage
I have not used Lua, but have you looked at this - http://www.noeska.com/dlua/downloads.aspx ?

Which scripting engines did you look at and why did you discount them? Did you try JavaScript? Just look for some insight into your decision etc as scripting is something I have always wanted to implement but never ever go round to doing it.
Actually thats the one I'm testing with for LUA. The problem is that there are no samples with it .

On the topic of Scripting Engines, here is my findings thus far:
DWS: Very powerful, and overall quite nice. Too slow for games that are heavily scripted
Pascal Script for Delphi: Faster then DWS, cleaner and easier to use. Not as many features, and my top choice for Pascal Scripting in Games.
Python: Speed is better then either of the above. Quite fast, some what easy to implement, but I just don't really like it .
Monkey Script: Too Cish for me
Java Script: Too Cish and slower then anything else, also requires alot of overhead
MS Scripting Engine: Slow piece of $h1T, but easy to add languages too
LUA: Don't know, haven't found any examples of how to use the D@MND thing, but it looks promisiong as its been used alot. I like the no objects thing and that its simple to pickup (hey I can make stuff work with the command line version, just not sure how to embed it yet).
SAL: This is my own scripting engine. It rips the pants off of everything above on speed. Prolly because it compiles and executes as native code (completely). Problem with it is that its basically assembly, plans are to add languages that cross compile to SAL and then compile down. Won't be ready for the compo, and not sure when it will ever be ready .

Thats what I have thus far. As I said I've worked ALOT with scripting engines over the years, and I've only touched on a few above. I've even written a few for custom applications, but time is against me . I origionally thought of using PS for the project, keeping in tune with the Pascal nature, but in the end I want others to be able to mod the game easily. Thus I'm looking into Python or LUA. If I can't get LUA to work, then Python it will be , even though I'm not really fond of its syntax.