Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2006 PGD Annual: Challenger Stage 2 "General" feed

2006 PGD Annual: Challenger Stage 2 "General" feed

Hi Eric. About your notes for my (Michalis Kamburelis, "The Castle") stage 3 entry:

Couldn't find any enemy.
    That's correct, as enemies were not implemented on stage 3 deadline. It was written in the README file

There is something about the FOV and/or movement speed that made me feel somewhat queasy after some wandering around in the stage 3 level (not so much in the castle level, but it was more open).
    I'm not sure what do you mean by "queasy"... Can you explain it in more detail ? There was no "head bobbing" effect in stage 3 version (it's done in stage 4 version), does this fix / improve the issue ?

Thanks!

That's correct, as enemies were not implemented on stage 3 deadline. It was written in the README file
    oops, missed it because it didn't have the .txt extension

I'm not sure what do you mean by "queasy"... Can you explain it in more detail ? There was no "head bobbing" effect in stage 3 version (it's done in stage 4 version), does this fix / improve the issue ?
    I mean it made me kinda sick (well not that bad), I'm not sure head bobbing has anything to do with it, probably more something with the viewing angle (FOV). So far all FPS and 3d games I've encountered gave me no trouble sitting through multi-hours sessions, but there was one that had the same queasy-inducing effect: HalfLife 2 - you're in good company
    I could barely stand watching the HL2 screen in more than 5-10 minutes sessions, and actually abandonned the game by the time you reach the base after the canals (walking in the interiors became just too much).
    I later found other many people had the same issue and that there were unofficial FOV patches circling the forums, though I never resumed playing the game with it (and don't have the game anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    oops, missed it because it didn't have the .txt extension
    For stage 5 all the *.pas sources are inside source/ subdirectory, so files in the main dir (executables, README file) should be more visible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I mean it made me kinda sick (well not that bad), I'm not sure head bobbing has anything to do with it, probably more something with the viewing angle (FOV).
    I was reading various pages about HalfLife 2 FOV problems (like this or this). It turns out that I was using much smaller field of view than other games. HalfLife uses 75 degree (vertical), Doom and many other games use 90. I was using 45 horizontal (that's only 35 vertical on 800x600 screen). I changed this to 70 horizontal (that's 55 vertical). This is still smaller than in other games, but larger values feel too awkward (probably I'm too accustomed to my previous angle ?).

Also, after some experiments, I think that moving speed was too large. I made it smaller (by about 3/4).

Hopefully these improve the feeling. If you will still experience any motion sickness, stage 5 submission has a menu in game "Debug options". Today I placed there controls to change view angle, rotation speeds and move speeds --- you can tweak them to suit your needs. (Note that they are not saved to config file). Please report if you find that other values of these settings feel better for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12