Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Writing a game engine from the scratch

Writing a game engine from the scratch

That is correct as explained before And the same applies for OpenGL, which has numerous EXT, ARB, NV and others that differ greatly depending on graphics card. If use extensions/high end abilities be sure to check whether card is capable of using them. Some games have unique settings for different cards to display everything as optimal as possible.

Thank you for you explanation.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

3D game engine created from scratch by me:
    http://necrodome.homeftp.net/Project...ct=App_Necro3D
    I'm currently building the game .S.C.A.G. with it. It's using only triangles and DX9. Take a look. I also have created an engine with DX7, with NecroSPACE 2 was build on.

Success with your project!
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Yeah, i have already seen your website and the screenies. There is only on thing to say:

WOW

You must be a DirectX guru. How long are you programming with it??

I have allready played NecroSpace a few month's earlier, and it's a realy cool game, simple gameplay but amazing graphics. It has also a very nice intro movie. Very well done.

If i where you, i would write some tutorials to show other people how to make games with Direct3d.
    (That's exactly what im gonna do when i have that much experience).
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

The intro of NecroSPACE 2 sux, I wanted to make in fully 3D in my engine

I'm currently creating an engine that you can script your games.

ToDo list in engine:

- Model animation
    - Model scripting
    - Advance physics with newton (including ragdolls and car physics)
    - Pixel and vertex shader support by .fx files
    - More script functions, I already created pong
    - Scene manegment
    - Better skyboxes
    - Maybe an advance/scripted particle system

For my next game I want to create some sort of race game, fully 3D.

The intro of NecroSPACE 2 sux, I wanted to make in fully 3D in my engine
    It may be a low resolution movie, but i do like the camera movement a lot. And yeah it would definitly better to make it in your engine (It reduces game filesize), but its way harder to do that.

I played the game but unfortunatly, it showed some hiccups, even if i set graphics detail to low. :cry:
    Here are my specs:

Code:

Processor: intel pentium 4 (3.2 Ghz hyperthreading)
    RAM: 512 MB DDR.
    GFX Card: ATI Radeon 300X (128MB Video-ram and DX9 compatilbe)
    I have no idea why this happens, although if i switch to windowed-mode its a lot faster.
    The graphics are fantastic but apparently they also occupy quite a lot of system resources.
    I couldn't exactly measure the speed because no FPS was shown.
    I think i should upgrade my GFX card to get better results. Besides that its one of the best (non-commercial) games i've ever seen.

Even though S.C.A.G's screenies look very promising, it might be a good idea to add some extra options, like resolution, particle density, background detail etc.. for those who dont have an expensive GFX card (Mine was about 70 Euro).

I wonder what your specs are and how your games run on your pc??

Besides this all your work looks great. good luck with S.C.A.G

NecroSPACE 2 has no real fullscreen option, its juist that I set a form fullscreen (i know, not the correct way)

The movie looks cool, but it was juist that I wanted exploding astroids and the ships shooting around. I'm just not that good in 3D max. I can model some things but animating it and making a movie out of it is a lot harder. In .S.C.A.G. I WILL NOT put .avi .mpg or whatever, I'm planning to make a real ingame movie (Hope I'll finish it before te compo ends)

Anyway, my computer specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.2 GHz)
    1024 MB ram
    2x nVidia GeForce 6800 - SLI configuration since I am a gamer
    And a nice case

All games have no trouble running. I should test them on lower systems.

NecroSPACE 2 has no real fullscreen option, its juist that I set a form fullscreen (i know, not the correct way)
    Hmmm.... Interesting. I looked it up and i didn't found something yet.

One way to do this is using A directdraw object, and two flipping surfaces. You only have to render your scene to the backbuffer. (I dont know how you do such things, but i know they can be done ).

The movie looks cool, but it was juist that I wanted exploding astroids and the ships shooting around. I'm just not that good in 3D max. I can model some things but animating it and making a movie out of it is a lot harder.
    I have 3ds Max too, i'am not a hardcore 3d artist but i can do some things with it. I will use it in the future to make some background images and maybe some of the sprites i will use in my games.

2x nVidia GeForce 6800 - SLI configuration since I am a gamer
    Holy crap .. my ATI Radeon X300 is nothing compared to that.

All games have no trouble running. I should test them on lower systems.
    That's indeed a good idea. I would like to test S.C.A.G when it is finished, and show you my FPS.

Ohw... I found something. Clooties CD3DApplication
    has a 'device and displaymode switching' feature.

I will try to figure out how it works, because i want to use it for my own engine.

If there is somebody here who could explain how to switch to another display-mode, could you please explain how this is done??

Currently I use the Omega DX9 components, they have a fullscreen option, but it needs some tweaking since resolusions are hard coded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast