Thread: Morley's Miracle

Morley's Miracle

In 1929, the Anglo-American mathematician, Frank Morley, published and proved a theorem, which subsequently came to bear his name, Morley's theorem, also known as Morley's Miracle. It states:

The three points of intersection of the adjacent trisectors of the angles of any triangle form an equilateral triangle.
    I have created an interactive OpenGL demonstration of this theorem, using the JEDI-SDL headers and FreePascal. It's nothing much, just a trifle, really, but you may enjoy it. I've only tested it on Linux, but I reckon it should also work on other platforms that are compatible with JEDI-SDL and FPC. Download the source code from here:

http://www.ludicity.org/files/morley.tar.gz (97.4 KB)

I compile it with the command: fpc -Mobjfpc morley.pp

Here's a screenshot:

http://www.ludicity.org/images/morleyss.png (33 KB)

You can click and drag any vertex of the blue triangle, and the red triangle will always remain an equilateral triangle.
    [size=10px]"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac[/size]

Morley's Miracle

Looks interesting.
    I'll try and create compile a Windows version later today.

Do you plan to use this in any games?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Morley's Miracle

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Do you plan to use this in any games?
    No, this is just a small experiment, the sort of thing I do from time to time to keep myself amused.
    [size=10px]&quot;In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it&#39;s the exact opposite.&quot; -- Paul Dirac[/size]

Morley's Miracle

Dead links?

Morley's Miracle

Fixed links! Thanks.
    [size=10px]&quot;In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it&#39;s the exact opposite.&quot; -- Paul Dirac[/size]

Blog Entries

Morley's Miracle

Hey cragwolf, feel free to share these whenever you like! I'm a sucker for these types of topics. Understand them fully or not.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder