Quote Originally Posted by aidave
Thats not what they mean by "level" in this contest.
That is probably not what they meant by levels is in this contest. But then, rules don't say you need a new map with each level, too? But you do assume it needs to have a new map. (Probably because that's all to common nowadays?)
Remember that not every game has levels that are a combination of A, B and C. Every game is different. How you define levels depends on the game. In my case, levels do not include maps.

But allow me to clarify:
My game has a large number of levels. With each level, or wave, the player builds towers, earns money, builds different towers, more expensive tower, upgrades them etc. Now, if I were to replace the map after each level, this whole concept wouldn't work anymore, because I would need to remove everything the player has build as well.

It would have major consequences for gameplay. The fact that you have a new map, doesn't make the level harder. Just the opposite in fact.
I could increase hitpoints of the enemies, but that would require more money for the player to start with as well. The whole strategy of where to place towers, when to upgrade them and what type to use, would be eliminated, because you can rougly build the same towers as you did in the previous level. Building strategies that span over multiple levels just wouldn't be possible anymore. And these are only a couple of the problems I would be facing.

So you see why I asked the question, are maps a requirement of levels?