Quote Originally Posted by WILL
When you say "sprite style transparency", you actually mean that it doesn't support simple colorkey teransparency? ie. one color set to be transparent and No alpha blending or channels involved...
Just to clarify it does support colour key transparency, but not alpha blended/channels transparency as far as I am aware.

Quote Originally Posted by cairnswm
Midlet Pascal has an ImageFromImage funtion to extract a portion of the image. This process does not support transparency.
This is partially incorrect. I was told that ImageFromImage transparency works if your Midlet is v2.0 but not if it is v1.0. It definately does not work for v1.0 MIDlet, but I have not tested it for v2.0.
In v1.0 if you want colour key transparency save each image individually as a png file, ensuring that you set the transparency value when the png is saved. Then with v1.0 you can use LoadImage() and the transparency will be respected when drawn.

Basically the rule I have stuck with is that for v1.0 MIDlets, use separate images if transparency is an issue. I hope to use pilgrim's GameAPI wrapper ( for v2.0 Midlets ) for a future project which should give a lot more flexibility and not have the same restrictions as the vanilla v1.0 API.