Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself

I'm another guilty party of never introducing myself, so here goes:

Profession: BSA (Business Systems Analyst)

I started out with a TRS80 and a Z80 micro with a hex programming pad. Later upgraded through th C64 age and the x86 worlds.

Went to school to become a digital engineer, just to find that once I completed the first two years of real schooling (not that first two that you take what they tell you to) that no one used component level and below design (damn).

Started software development in machine code on the Z80 (see above) and basic (or was it qbasic) on the TRS80 (loved that machine). First game was a space invaders clone on the TRS80.

In the mid-80s ran a local BBS called Taz Online witch ran on custom (pascal) BBS Software and had the idea of presenting a world to the users before it was truely popular. Basically to check your fido-mail you went to the post office (3 north, 2 west from login), you were more then just an account it was a game world wraped around common (at that time) tasks.

Started with Delphi in `94 as a Beta tester (oh the good old days). Worked with Delphi all the way to v7 when I decided that Borland and their dev team were out of their minds. So now I back FPC and Lazarus.

Started Eon Clash in `97 with a common goal to develop an online game. Well that part hasn't happend, but we have put out LOTS of components and applications over the years.

Noteable items: ECXML Parser, ECXML Browser Lite, actually tons of comps that EC has put out, Core member of Project Indy, many other projects and activities.

Fun fact: My wife and I used to own a photography company, Darling Photography, we don't own it any more as when we moved back to Missouri we found it illegal for her to do hair and makeup on shoot locations (that sucked). We still have a studio in our home and do pictures for family, friends, and our best clients.

I could go on for a few pages, but it would just be more and more of the same. I'm a driven person and I've worked all over the US, worked for many comanies, won many awards.

Oh yeah, currently I work for a company called VML. We are an online marketing firm that has clients such as MicroSoft, Burger King, Leap Frog, and many more. Held as one of the best Digital Relam Marketing firms and a top 50 company to work for in the US. I must say that I love my job, the hours can be rough at times, but most of the time its the best job in the world.

Introduce yourself

Hi, I'm 20 years old,and I'm from Czech Republic, working as a programmer under delphi 2005 and Oracle.I've been programming since 13..in my free time I work on my personal projects.I like body building and martial arts,
    however, I almost have no free time...
    I love computer graphics, and I also have worked in Maya,3d studio max and XSI...I also have done own 3d animation editor connected to POV-Ray renderer.
    And my favorite drink ? Water.

Introduce yourself

What sort of martial arts are you into?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    What sort of martial arts are you into?
    muay thai . But I don't have time...so I do bodybuilding for fun.
    and you?

Introduce yourself

I used to do Karate ( San Chi Kai ) in Oz, when I was about 15, and about 2 years ago I did Gracie ( Brazilian Jui Jitsu - http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/anaconda.html ), but I kept getting my ribs cracked during training, so I've had to give up for now. I only weigh 65kg, so when I was grappling guys who weigh 80-100Kgs and they had me pinned down, usually my ribs is what gave way .

I'm hoping to go back one day, as it was the most exhaustive training I have ever done. Really great work-out.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Introduce yourself

I know...Brazilian Jui Jitsu , I never did it, but know it, my friend do this..
    and really interesting So keep training if you can.It is important to do also something else than only programming.
    I gives 3 or 4 hours per week for training, and it's enough.
    I had to stop training,half a year ago, because of work (I'm full time
    programmer) but I start again with training

Introduce yourself

Now I go for a half hour run every morning, followed by 250 crunchies( sets of 50 ), and 100 pushups ( 40, 30, 30 ). On Fridays I do indoor climbing/bouldering with my son and on Saturdays, I swim and Sundays I try and run for an hour. I have been trying to train for a half-marathon with the aim of one day doing an Ironman or maybe joining cairnswm in the Comrades a few years down the line. It's good to get away from the keyboard, also give the mind an opportunity to solve problems .

Introduce yourself

yes exactly, that's the reason why I train-to get out of the keyboard for couple of hours per week.So, keep training

Introduce yourself

Hello! I just signed up last night, and so here I am introducing myself! I hail from Sunny USA, and have dabbled in programming on and off for several years. I don't actually know any Pascal at the moment, but plan to learn.

It's interesting that martial arts and bouldering came into the topic just above me, because I am interested in both. I take Tae Kwon Do classes, and I love indoor bouldering, though I don't get to do much of it.

Sort of a noob question to start me off: Do you guys frown upon newcomers trying to recruit for a project? I'm sort of the cliche, "I've got a great idea, but need help," kind of person.

Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by pladams9
    Sort of a noob question to start me off: Do you guys frown upon newcomers trying to recruit for a project? I'm sort of the cliche, "I've got a great idea, but need help," kind of person.
    Welcome to PGD!

This is an interesting question as we don't really have much of such requests here. For myself I would say that depends entirely on the idea, the complexity of the game and amount of your own contribution to the project
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast