Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Introduce yourself

Welkom op 't forum !

(Dutch inside talk)
    Marmin^.Style

Introduce yourself

I never introduced myself... so here it goes:

Still a student in computer science.
    I learned pascal programming about 7 years ago at school.... so the second year we learned Delphi.... well... to be exact that was a HELL... I didn't understand anything of it, so I went back to the goo' old Turbo Pascal within dos...

After a while I realized everything was windows, so I started to pickup Delphi. By the time I learned to use Delphi, we switched to C++ (DOS again), after a half year we made again a switch from dos to windows: C++ Builder.... It was a lot easier cause by now I knew the IDE of Borland.

The only thing I was doing was program games.... I made some very stupid ASCII games including my first 3D engine (Necro3D ASCII ), a very slooooooow ray tracing engine.

I also got my hands on a copy of DIV Games studio. A simple to use program language to program games. Looks like an OS on itself, but less function.

So me and MadWoody have build a few games from almost the first day we knew each other:
    - Pong with network support (delphi 5), crappy but it worked.
    - Boter, kaas en eieren (aka Tic Tac Toe, C++ DOS) had some nice visual ASCII effects
    - Fire engine (only my work) simulates a ASCII fire
    - NecroTANK (C++ Builder 4) icludes network also, worms clone
    - Revenge of the Vegetables (C++ Builder 4) Platform game
    - Insanity (Delphi 7 + UnDelphiX) First D3D game
    These were all school projects. So next we started to build off our own engine. And we me made NecroSPACE 2 as game.
    After realizing it was DirectX 7, we wanted to port the engine to DX9. But we started to make a whole new, faster engine (cause the first one was almost crap).
    With the new engine we made .S.C.A.G. (and a pong game to test PascalScript)

So that was basically it...

Greetingzz Michiel (NecroDOME)

Damn I love Firefox 2.0 spell check [/quote]
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Introduce yourself

I'm a full time professional Analyst Programmer. who by day writes .net stuff for a large company. But by night, it's a different story.

I've been coding for as long as I can remember, in all manner of languages.
    I started on a ZX Spectrum 128, learnt Speccy Basic.. soon found it to be underpowered so I taught myself Z80 Assembler.
    After that, I did a college course in C and started to write DOS games.. I felt a little annoyed by the amount of control C took away after having to control every aspect of the machine in Z80.
    Things took a little turn for the worst when I started learning Database languages.. although I did try to write a game in Foxpro, it never really took off.
    VB5 and VB6 came along, I started writing games in those.. Never wrote a game in .net though.. It's a business language.

Then I discovered DELPHI!!! (cue Angelic AAAhhhhhh ) Actually, Technomage introduced me to it. Then after a few failed attempts at getting something written in Delphi, I decided to do some DelphiX tutorials and started the Cerebral Bicycle Company.

Later I began writing my own Game Engine foundation classes for a 2D platform game which got WHAAAAY Too complicated too soon, but left me with a fairly comprehensive set of classes.. which I left on my hard disk for the next 4 years getting code rot.

I did some C++ with the Torque engine, learned a lot and attempted another couple of grossly over specced projects and nearly gave up on the whole shebang.

Then Borland released TurboExplorer which rekindled my spirits, I resurrected the CBCFoundation code and began again on a game which I WILL FINISH!!!!!

I consider myself a good all rounder, I'm a fairly good coder, OK at graphics and dabble in music.

There.. That's the quick & Ugly story.. there is more, but this thread is long enough and I've come close to saying "And I remember when all this was fields"

Introduce yourself

*Ouch* Never introduced myself too... Well...

I started on a ZX Spectrum+ (yeah! commodore sucks!) several years ago. My first game was a simple turn based "Global Thermonuclear War" :shock:
    After a bunch of years I discovered Delphi and delphix (yeah! vb/vc sucks!) and I started to make some very simple games: an Arkanoid clone, a pacman clone with Homer Simpson (pacman), donuts (pills), Duff beer (special pills) and Monty Burns (ghosts) :lol:
    My last work with delphix was a 2D Tank battle (unfinished, but who knows...).

Sadly my work is not PC related at all... I'm working on accountancy in a little factory that produces marble slabs and, when I find some spare time, I'm trying to terminate my degree in Economics (I know, I'm a bit old, but I have started late...).
    I waste my spare time teaching php to a couple of friends of mine and playing the bass.

What I like: sleeping
    What I don't like at all: fishes
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    My first game was a simple turn based "Global Thermonuclear War" :shock:
    lol, the whole concept of that sounds hilarious :lol:
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Introduce yourself

The guys from Introversion Software created a "Global Thermonuclear War" game recently:
    http://www.introversion.co.uk/defcon/

Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    My first game was a simple turn based "Global Thermonuclear War" :shock:
    lol, the whole concept of that sounds hilarious :lol:
    I was inspired by WarGames :mrgreen:

Well, indeed the graphics was very similar to the movie's one and the gameplay was minimalist (read: boring)...
    1: select your team (USA or URSS)
    2: select a town where is your headquarter
    3: fire a missile against an enemy town
    4: if you have destroyed the enemy headquarter, then you win, else wait for a counter attack

...and so on :doh:
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Introduce yourself

Nice to read your backgrounds

Superb avatar btw, NecroDome

Introduce yourself

yeah, thats me, a bit drunk in a pub....

Introduce yourself

I'm another guilty party of never introducing myself, so here goes:

Profession: BSA (Business Systems Analyst)

I started out with a TRS80 and a Z80 micro with a hex programming pad. Later upgraded through th C64 age and the x86 worlds.

Went to school to become a digital engineer, just to find that once I completed the first two years of real schooling (not that first two that you take what they tell you to) that no one used component level and below design (damn).

Started software development in machine code on the Z80 (see above) and basic (or was it qbasic) on the TRS80 (loved that machine). First game was a space invaders clone on the TRS80.

In the mid-80s ran a local BBS called Taz Online witch ran on custom (pascal) BBS Software and had the idea of presenting a world to the users before it was truely popular. Basically to check your fido-mail you went to the post office (3 north, 2 west from login), you were more then just an account it was a game world wraped around common (at that time) tasks.

Started with Delphi in `94 as a Beta tester (oh the good old days). Worked with Delphi all the way to v7 when I decided that Borland and their dev team were out of their minds. So now I back FPC and Lazarus.

Started Eon Clash in `97 with a common goal to develop an online game. Well that part hasn't happend, but we have put out LOTS of components and applications over the years.

Noteable items: ECXML Parser, ECXML Browser Lite, actually tons of comps that EC has put out, Core member of Project Indy, many other projects and activities.

Fun fact: My wife and I used to own a photography company, Darling Photography, we don't own it any more as when we moved back to Missouri we found it illegal for her to do hair and makeup on shoot locations (that sucked). We still have a studio in our home and do pictures for family, friends, and our best clients.

I could go on for a few pages, but it would just be more and more of the same. I'm a driven person and I've worked all over the US, worked for many comanies, won many awards.

Oh yeah, currently I work for a company called VML. We are an online marketing firm that has clients such as MicroSoft, Burger King, Leap Frog, and many more. Held as one of the best Digital Relam Marketing firms and a top 50 company to work for in the US. I must say that I love my job, the hours can be rough at times, but most of the time its the best job in the world.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast