Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Re: Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhog
    I dislike Microsoft, Windows and Bill Gates himself.

Welcome Darkhog
    Wake up from the dream and live your life to the full

My name's Scott Brown aka: Lord Blue and I just started learning pascal. I've been a FilePro database programmer since 1997. The reason I am learning pascal now is because I started running a BBS again and would like to code some utilities for it. The BBS software (Renegade) is written in pascal, so I figured I would need to learn it. In my spare time when I'm not working I am either updating something on my BBS or trying to plan my next scuba dive.

Scott....

Hello,

I am Mario Donick, living in Rostock, Germany. Currently 28 years old. Here's a short history of my Pascal experiences:

I started programming in 1991 or 1992 with the BASIC dialect used on the East German home computer KC85/3. Later, in 1998 or so, I used the acquired basic knowledge to better understand Turbo Pascal, which was taught in computer classes at school.

We used Turbo Pascal for Windows in these days, but never dived into object oriented Windows programming; we simply used the WinCrt unit to create simple programs. My teacher luckily borrowed me all the TPW manuals, so I could learn it on my own. When I think back, it was really complicated, but I managed to get some decent things running.

Once school was over, I programmed less, and when I did, I used some obscure BASIC-like language called "Profan". It was very easy to create Windows programs with it, but after a while, I abandoned it, experimented with another strange dialect called wxBASIC (because it was capable of creating both Windows and Linux binaries from the same source), then came to Visual Studio 2005 (using BASIC again, not C#), and finally, in 2006, I found FreePascal.

Since then I'm working on my roguelike role playing game, called "LambdaRogue: The Book of Stars" (http://lambdarogue.net) It has grown to a rather mature game, its current version is 1.5.3, but as in many hobby projects, still with some bugs, and as in many roguelike projects, never really finished. The source of that game is a mess, too, and still only procedural, without objects (in 2008 I decided to create a 2.x rewrite of that game, but I never got very far with this, 'cause, well, it works.)

I never programmed for a living, though -- that would destroy the fun for me. In professional life, I'm working as a linguist/communication scientist at a university.

So, that's it -- long story, sorry.

Blog Entries

I'm so glad that this thread is still going. Welcome to PGD Mario and Scott!

I know it's said before many times elsewhere on this site and in the old threads, but PGD is a community, like all other communities, that relies heavily on it's vistors and members alike to pitch in and take part. Start conversations, pick others' brains, pick your own brain, post your good stuff and your crap. It's all good here. PGD is and always will be what YOU make of it. And that's the way we like it.

So that said, welcome and I hope to read more of your posts on code, your latest game, your half started entry into the next PGD Annual competition and even all your questions on who-knows-what.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Err... didn't know about this thread.

Well, my name is Guillem Vicens. I am 34 years old and live in Majorca, Spain. I have 2 Technical Computer Engineering degrees and 1 Superior Computer Engineering degree (not sure about the translation to english, in spanish it is called "Ingenier??a Inform?°tica").

I have been working in non-programming-related jobs in the tourism branch (specifically airlines, airport ground assistance, touroperators and hotels) for quite some years, but now I am working as analyst and programmer on ERPs and other apps for tourism enterprises.

I love to play videogames and hope to be able to work on them professionally in the near future.

@WILL:

Thanks for the welcome! :-)

I stumbled upon this forum, 'cause currently I'm investigating ways of compiling my game (SDL and console, no native MacOS functions used, thus frameworks shouldn't be necessary) on MacOS (compiling works, but linking is a bit tricky). As I don't have a Mac, testing this is a bit complicated

Anyway, looking forward to taking part in this forum!

Oh. This section DOES exist.

Daygreet. I'm mikade.

I get offended by lurkers and people who don't introduce themselves, so I lurked here for three years and then made a random post in the PGD 2010 thread.

My hobbies include talking to myself, pretending that I'm Irish, talking to myself WHILE pretending that I'm Irish. And games development. And a million other things I won't bother listing.

I have no formal programming experience, but (like most people here it seems) got into programming when I was fairly young. I came here because I like pascal more than the supposedly "real" languages. I like lurking the "Your Projects" section. Currently, I'm working on one or two of my abandoned projects from when I was 16.
    *blink*

Welcome!!

Now you can share your "pretending-I'm-Irish-talks-to-yourself" with us .

What are you working on atm?
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

I think one small wideo with couple of works says more then words?
    Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

Wow Darthman, very impressive! All games made with Pascal?
    Wake up from the dream and live your life to the full

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast