Thread: 3dLandscape based on DanJetX

3dLandscape based on DanJetX

Since Dan posted DanJetX 0.7 I have been playing around with some of the included examples.

I have mashed up the Landscape example with the Shadow example to make the core of a simple "Kingdom Ruler" game.

You can find the source code and executable by going to the location below.

The source code has been partially commented in the hope that it will help others to understand some of the parameters etc.

http://www.ericbehme.de/phpBB2DAN/vi....php?p=774#774

Back at school we played a "Kingdom" game for economics on a TRS-80 (a microcomputer).

You had to assign workers to be either soldiers, famers or mind the dam. In each season of the year different events would occur. e.g., thieves would come down from teh mountains, the river would burst its banks etc. A very simple game using ASCII characteres. I think I may update it using DanJetX.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

I think the major hassle with doing 3d games is that you need 3d models. My modelling skills are pretty much way below average. Especially for doing humans.

Does anyone have a link to sites that provide low polygon models to use in freeware projects?

Either that or know how to get md2 or md3 models into 3Dmax incl the animation?

I have looked on the web for ages but I seem to go around in circles.

I only know of TurboSquid but their free model section is ofcourse very limited...
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Quote Originally Posted by czar
    I think the major hassle with doing 3d games is that you need 3d models.
    It is true, but on the other hand for 2D games you need sprites. I don't know what is worse - drawing or modelling a human.

The problem with free model sets is that often they have around ten to fwenty models including two chairs, one table, porsche, troll, ogre's head, two apples in a bowl, a sleeping beauty etc. It is very, very difficult to collect all models needed especialy with same look and feel.

Anyway here are two ]http://www.3dkingdom.org[/url] They have quite large collection and tons of links to other modeling sites.
    Another one is http://polycount.com. They have models for games like QuakeI - IV, Unreal, etc.

Hope you find them usefull.

I agree with teh comments above - going for free meshes is a pain as they are different look and feel.

What I might do is use meshes as stand ins until the actual program is done and then see if I can do the meshes myself or get some help.

Either that or steer clear of games that require people meshes