I'm looking into libraries to use with Delphi 7 to try and make a smooth text scrolling application (which I'll possibly try to convert to an ActiveX control for use in a web page). Previous attempts at basic graphics in Delphi don't get a smooth enough scrolling effect - like the news ticker across the bottom of CNN, or a sports ticker on ESPN or your local news. Right to left text ends up not scrolling smoothly - htere are jerks and jumps that bug people who are viewing it. This is getting done on a large scale on a big screen in the lobby of the company I work for, so it's large size text, etc.

Questions in the Delphi newsgroups had someone suggest DirectX as a possible approach, so I started looking at that, and found DelphiX, unDelphiX, and Asphyre mentioned. It looks like Asphyre is dead, though - am I right about that?

From what I read here, it sounds like unDelphiX has had more done to it recently than DelphiX. Is that correct?

Finally - is this even a reasonable approach? Is it overkill for what I want? Or should I just grab an unDelphiX install and start trying it?

Thanks.