Thread: Magic RPG [Planning Stage]

Magic RPG [Planning Stage]

Well, as some of you most likely know, (and others can most likely tell from the title) Magic RPG is an RPG game. However, it is an RPG game with not just one, two, or three twists, but tons of twists.

The game is planned to feature a unique "Butterfly Effect" in which one single, small action can make the biggest of differences, anywhere in the game world. A single killing of the wrong person might cause a large war, or assassins to be hired to kill you. The game world will be a hard place to survive in, but when you finally do accomplish something, it makes it all that much more satisfying.

Career paths will be very dynamic, and while you can switch careers at any time, if you attempt to return to the career, you may not be able to get the same position, as the game will feature a "You don't use it, you lose it" look at abilities, just like real life. You will never fully lose a skill, but over time, the skill will drop by a certain limit of points. This doesn't go for just careers, but also for weaponry, magic, and your characters stamina.

A great influence on the game will be families. The game progresses in "generations" in which your character grows old. When your character dies, whether from age, disease, or in battle, if you do not have an heir, your game will end. There are several ways to acquire an heir, some of which are:
    -Adoption
    -Having a child with your family
    -Kidnapping

There are some obvious problems with Adoption and Kidnapping, some of which relate only to specific career lines, like if you became a king of a kingdom, a kidnapped/adopted child cannot take your place as king.

If you just want to sit around and live a second life, you can. Tragedies will occur, and your character may become depressed, or you might be fired from your job, or your business you opened might even fall apart. If a non-action filled game isn't your idea of a fun time, though, you can do a vast majority of other things, including, but not limited to:
    You could be a...
    • Soldier
    • Diplomat
    • Spy
    • Assassin
    • King
    • Jester
    • Royal Guard
    • Trader
    • Chef
    • Blacksmith

And on top of all that, you can join guilds, clans, and other types of groups, for example a Thieves Guild or a Dwarven Clan (given that you are a Dwarf ).

You can choose from many different races, and can cross between any of the other races. (The list is not definite yet, so I will not put it here)

Theres a vast majority of other things going into this game, which are just too much to list in this single post, so I will link you to the various other posts I have made across the web.

http://forums.designcommunity.co.uk/...&st=0&#entry29
    http://pascalgamedevelopment.com/vie...?p=35718#35718

And for those interested, I have the early Design Documents:

Public Document
    http://designcommunity.co.uk/MagicRP...ublic%20v1.htm

Top-Level Documents
    http://designcommunity.co.uk/MagicRP...Level%20v1.htm
    http://designcommunity.co.uk/MagicRP...etail%20v1.htm

So please give me your opinions on the game, and tell me what you think. If you like it, tell me what you like, if you don't, tell me what you don't like.

Also, please comment on the design documents, as this is my first attempt at writing Design Documents.[/list]
    --MagicRPG--

And for those interested, in approximately (don't hold me to this) 2 weeks time, I should have 'demo' screens out which show how I'm hoping it will look like. I'm just getting my current graphics artist, who is going to help out a bit, to make a couple screens for me. He has amazing art.

Here is some of the art he has made before:
    http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...r%20Graffitti/
    --MagicRPG--

Well, I have been working over the 'butterfly effect' and the reputation system, and I've been working on the plans for that, so I should have a gigantic write-up of how that works here soon...
    --MagicRPG--

Well, the guy has sent me a small picture (not anything even semi good yet...) with a few placeholders (trees) and a couple rocks...

He whipped that up in about 20 minutes...

So mostly everything will be to scale with the trees. Buildings will be about 3/4 of the size of the upper left tree, and the person will be about as big as the small rock... (the upper left rock)

And a small picture with a person in it:
    --MagicRPG--

I finally found some time to read about your project Darkness.

Actually, a while ago, I wanted to create a game like you describe (butterfly effect).
    I've never succeed... I wish you the best of luck

The whole idea is nicely written, but make sure you do not want too much in the beginning.
    Make it a small project first, then expand it.

It sounds like a nice project, I'll certainly play it when you've released it.
    Again, good luck.

Angelo
    "What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."

I've been unable to update because my computer is inaccessible for the time being. My graphics artist is still working on graphics, and I'm still planning out the game, but not many updates will be made for a while.
    --MagicRPG--

Well, my computer is now working fine, and I am glad to say I lost very little data. Only the most recent stuff...

So, I will be back to working on the game, and hopefully, some progress will be announced soon.
    --MagicRPG--

Blog Entries

Glad to hear you are up and working again. g/l with your project!

[size=9px]btw... I found the best way to keep my data safe was with a small USB drive or device of sorts. They are getting much cheaper than about a year or so ago... A worthy investment![/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder