Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YOU! Yeah, you! Thats right... CLICK HERE!

Blog Entries

YOU! Yeah, you! Thats right... CLICK HERE!

[size=24px]STOP LURKING![/size]

:lol:

Ok, guys this is starting to get to be a bit of a common routine here. Everybody lurks and doesn't even say boo half the time you visit. So put down your top secret projects that are going to revolutionize the gaming industry for a few secs and post something to show your interest in the community.

The main reason for Pascal getting a bad rap these days is that not many people SHOW an interest, or information is not so widely spread. So stop the visious cycle and lets makes some noise! :twisted:

The 2006 PGD Annual is wrapping up but that doesn't mean that the community is too. We are an all-year-round site with around 500 active members.

Something else to take into consideration; We are one of the last standing 'pillar community' sites for Pascal-based game development. Turbo just shutdown and some few months before it, the Turbo forums on GameDev.net.

That leaves us with:

DelphiGL, the German Delphi & OpenGL community

DelphiDev, the German Delphi & DirectX community

And whatever other IRC channels, mailing lists and small developer and tool/library's forums there are around.

So lets show support for this last great icon in the dessert of non-Pascal game development sites and keep the local PGD community active!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

we just need more emoticons

:!:

Tsk, tsk, I never lurk. Just... post infrequently. I randomly pop out of the woodwork with a few posts and code though.

Most posts made by people never get replies or followed up or discussed. So I guess that tends to kill interest in posting.

The PGD games competition gets people involved.

I think quite a large number of visitors only visit looking for an answer to their own particular problem.

I found with Omega and in a smaller scale with DJX that people working with same components and sharing code and stuff makes for lively and interactive forums. The PGD games competition had a similar effect here.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Yes. The lack of interest in roughly 66% of all topics has prompted me to make most my postings elsewhere. Namely Yuriy's site at the present.

I can only speak for myself: the reason I don't post here so regularly is that I'm not a very talkative person at the best of times. Also, I'm only an amateur at programming, so I find myself unable to answer nearly all questions asked here at these forums (or unwilling because I'm unsure of my knowledge). I like these forums, I read them every day, and it would be sad to see them die.
    [size=10px]"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac[/size]

Blog Entries

czar has a very interesting point. A community site does need something to draw in interest and incourage interactivity.

Robert, not meanning to pick on you specifically, but you make an interesting point; Because people aren't posting here, you don't post here either... Wow that sounds like a part of the persistant problem we're having here.

I remember the days when DGDev was focused only on Delphi alone and there weren't any articles, a PGD Library or news items for that matter. Yet... at times it was more lively there than here. (Although it had it's quiet times aswell...)

I think we need some dedicated 'Poop Disturbers'. People that just come up with the neatest things to engage you with. I think in a short amount of time we should be getting the 'ole site back up to the way it was with the Staff scripts working again. This will then invite fresh material in the form of Library items and Articles fromthe Staff members. This may also be a reason for the crippling of interest here. Half our stuff is down. :?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Robert, not meanning to pick on you specifically, but you make an interesting point; Because people aren't posting here, you don't post here either... Wow that sounds like a part of the persistant problem we're having here.
    It's mainly that sometimes I post and have no discussion or replies, so I don't generally post here. My latest Delphi stuff was an AI experiment. I didn't post it here because I didn't think it'd get any attention or discussion.

Blog Entries

Are you kidding?! I LOVE AI! I woulda been all over it like butter on rice.

Next time post it here. Seriously. As the very wise Alimonster once told me a long time ago before I was even a member on DGDev[size=9px](remember DelphiX was king then?)[/size], what he repied to a post on GameDev.net of mine when I said that these forums were too quiet.

A community is what you make of it. If you want it to succeed, you have to help make it happen.

Now why there are people pocketing to all these other mini-neich sites to discuss these matters, eludes me. DelphiGameDev, Afterwarp Interactive and DelphiSancuary seem to come up often and I never see any of these guys coming here. It's as if members there ignore this site. I have yet to understand this.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

@Will

I have to say that from my point of view it is easy to understand the attraction of dedicated forums.

For example, I have tried getting people here interested in DJX and have faced stoney silence.

So in my case I prefer to post what I am working on within the DJX forum as I get great response and extra feedback and stimulation.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast