Thread: Subject 33 [Restarted]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Subject 33 [Restarted]

Well I've decided to pick up where I left off with Subject 33. I was so disappointed in myself that I never finished it and since I had the time to sit and code undisturbed for a good many hours of late, I decided to finally finish some of the missing features that I had half implemented when I left it.

I didn't get to finish all of the AI just yet, but all of the weapons and the door/key system works just fine. Rockets now fire off explosive rockets that explode on impact with Robot, wall, bunker or doors. The explosion graphics aren't pretty just yet, but it does the job until I can get a nicer visual effect when I port the graphics over to OpenGL.

A lot of what I'm planning is listed in the changelog.txt file if you are interested. I want to make a level editor, but I'm also kind of digging the ability to take a text file and change a few characters and I have a whole new map. You can edit the maps yourself, just keep in mind that they can only be 19x19 right now. With the weapons and door completed for now, I may move onto the map editor/loaded next. That or bash away on the Robot AI or various types of robots.

Read the ReadMe.txt file for directions on controls or other information about the game. It's worth taking a scroll through. Robot AI is explained a bit in the second half. It also gives you a guide for making your own maps.

Make a cool map? Send it to me or better yet, post it here for others to try too!

For this build, Build 9, I've set the Robots to respawn at; 50% Aggressive, 30% Tactical, 20% Evasive.

Fog of war has been turned off by default; I found this made the game very hard to play, but I left it in just in case you wanted a challenge.

Graphics are not 100%. FNX did really nice job with the weapons, tiles and items, but had some trouble with the player character so you'll notice the weird animation when he's running upwards. I'm planning on fixing all this when I make the hop to OpenGL for graphics. Just ignore it for now and enjoy the gameplay.

Here it is for you all to try and enjoy.

Subject33_b9_01.jpg Subject33_b9_02.jpg Subject33_b9_03.jpg
    Subject 33 (Alpha) Build 9 Screenshots
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WILL; 10-03-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Smaller PNG files become blurry when uploaded, as opposed to GIF for whatever reason.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder