Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GameDev.Net contest

GameDev.Net contest

Well, the elements are known: Economics, Emotion, Emblem and Europe.

I think I'd better correct myself when I said in my previous post that it couldn't be any worse than the elements used last year.
    Its definitely a whole lot harder

Any thoughts on game ideas?

GameDev.Net contest

My idea is an Economic Third World war. Europe comes under pressure from private investors on the stock exchanges and war starts flowing through the markets. (Emblems would be the various factions) - emotions used would be greed and fear as the populace tries to get their share of the market boom but with the massive control of the markets they could be bankrupted = fear.

Ok so I havn't thought about it enough yet.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

idee_fixe

GameDev.Net contest

Funny how the first suggestion is all about war. There is already a game that would be perfect: Command and Conquer: Red Alert.

I wonder what else would make an interesting idea, something with a little less war in it. and not a stock market simulator (I've played one of those before - ugh).

Having recently watched the Da Vinci Code, I'm thinking of some kind of mystery where you go around following clues and uncovering a conspiracy of some kind regarding a secret society or maybe a more contemporary spin would be like a terrorist cell.

Oh, how about something like Munich (the movie) - you play an assassin hunting down members of a society/terror group/government, whatever, and you have to track them down and kill them.

This group that you are tracking down could have strong ties to a local economy (like mobsters or politicians), and also you can be paid in cash that you have to spend on weapons and gear.

Emotion could play a large role in the story and gameplay, especially greed and anger, but other elements can be thrown in to force emotional decisions (or perhaps ethical) decisions on the players behalf (I can bomb them, that's easy, but what about bystanders).

Emblems could be featured promimently as symbols of this group you are tracking - it could tattoos of members, spray painted on walls, badges on uniforms, et cetera.

Europe - well, pick a town in europe, or lots of towns, preferrably small, perhaps even made up. One single location would be interesting because first it's easier, second you can make it more richly detailed, and thirdly the impact of your actions has a longer effect. If you set of a bomb and leave the city, who cares? If you have spent the last week there and got to know the pub owner, chatted with his kids, and had some pints with the wino at the table over there, you are less likely to decide to leave a bomb under the table (emotion).

This game could be in full 3-d, 3rd person perspective (ideally, like GTA3, but perhaps less overtly evil), but it would work as 3-d from a fixed top-down/iso perspective (like our very own tanx), or even as 2-d with sprites.

Okay, now that I've given away an idea I am actually quite pleased with, please don't use it without me! (or at least my consent!).

GameDev.Net contest

A game set in the 2005 French Riots could fit (District 13 - the game!)

GameDev.Net contest

Quote Originally Posted by idee_fixe
    Having recently watched the Da Vinci Code, I'm thinking of some kind of mystery where you go around following clues and uncovering a conspiracy of some kind regarding a secret society or maybe a more contemporary spin would be like a terrorist cell.
    Carmen Sandiego in Europe (Where in Europe?)

GameDev.Net contest

Funny how the first suggestion is all about war. There is already a game that would be perfect: Command and Conquer: Red Alert.
    You should have a quick look see in the 4E5 Technology thread, and count the number of rts games people are planning on making.

Blog Entries

GameDev.Net contest

Funny how the first suggestion is all about war.
    Well all games have conflict in them. Something to solve or work through. Thats what creates the personal intrigue and accomplishing feeling at the end that brings them back. And whats a greater conflict than a war?

That would require detailed story telling so be prepared for some serious writting if you go that route.

Oh, how about something like Munich (the movie) - you play an assassin hunting down members of a society/terror group/government, whatever, and you have to track them down and kill them.

This group that you are tracking down could have strong ties to a local economy (like mobsters or politicians), and also you can be paid in cash that you have to spend on weapons and gear.
    I know it might be a bit faupa to bring MMO into this conversation, but I'd love to play a nice open-ended version of a game like Hitman. That game was fun. You had to be so exact and detailed taking down your targets. Made you really feel like a ...hitman!

I put together an 'idea' for a game myself once where you would have specific trade skills and you would go from bar/club/etc taking 'contracts' (not just on people, but sometimes delivering a package, retriving an object or some kind of mercinary, bounty hunter, hitman or professional theif jobs). And as you grew in skills you would take on harder jobs. And if you player online you'd eventually be able to take contracts on other real live players and you yourself would have to avoid getting notice by athorities or there would be contracts out on you too!

Sort of like a cloak and dagger MMO that takes on a Second Life type reality to it. The game world would go through different country leaders, chiefs of police & mayors in cities and goviners in states, special agents and agency top brass, etc, etc... Of course noone should actually try to take anyone down in real life. :? Thats just disturbing...

Well don't mind all my ideas. I'm a big fan of games like Beneth A Steel Sky, Shadowrun (for Sega Genesis!), Deus Ex... you know all those cyberpunk type games.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

GameDev.Net contest

What about a city building game. Like Zeus/Ceasar?

It can be based in Europe, you need to build up a small european village.
    Economy is the trading between your village and other towns, as well as the markets internal to your village, getting grain etc to granaries etc.
    You need to keep your citizens happy (Emotion)
    Emblems can be used to represent the country you are in, or even different churches you can build in your village.

I've always wanted to build a city building game (Theres even a thread on this site somewhere about Fairy Town).
    William Cairns

GameDev.Net contest

Or Defender of the Crown using the complete map of Europe. For fun add in some commodoties that need to be controlled and/or traded.
    William Cairns

Blog Entries

GameDev.Net contest

You know if you wanted to make a play off other great projects of interest in the world today, you could go with the theme or building colonies in space. On the moon or Mars... You can make it just in the near future.

Have all the same city bulding concepts, just base it off minerals and resources that would exist in that enviroment. You could make the game also follow the path of us all moving out beyond the solar system. Terraforming planets eventually, etc...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast