Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
Sorry to hear you got ripped off.

Unfortunately it seems that it may be quite common. I'll repeat my tale of woe just to bore those who have already heard it .

I am still owed nearly $4,000.00 US for some remote work I did on Hero X ( www.atari.com/us/games/herox/pc ). As I was not "on site", I think I was one of the first people they shafted when they started running out of cash. The thing was that I did 3 months work trying to hit their deadline. It was particularly hard on my family at the time as I was working during the day, coming home at 7pm and working through to 2-3am on the game.

After hearing that I was not going to be paid, I came within a millisecond of posting the whole game's source code on the internet. Actually I still have it. But my code was mainly to do with the UI so it would not have been fair on the other coders if I had reaped my revenge.

Having been burnt, I think that is why I shy away from working on extended collaborative projects. Now I try and work on small projects that are over and done with in a few weeks and I'm now trying to sell some software stuff online.