Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FPC 4 GameCube?

FPC 4 GameCube?

Yesterday I have made a very first attempt to port our beloved fpc to GameCube. The GC is equipped with a PowerPC CPU and FPC supports PowerPC, so I have made a fast compiler port, by modifying my gba RTL and by using binutils from devkitPro for PPC. Well, it produces .dol executables, but I'm not been able to run it on the emulator. The problem is that the GC emulators does not have a decent debugger, so I'm not able to check errors in the exe. A debugger I have found works only with real hardware connected to a pc via LAN.
    If someone here has a gc and wants to try to make this new fpc port, I could send the sources and all support I can
    Otherwise, I need to buy a gc (this hobby is becoming expensive :mrgreen
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

FPC 4 GameCube?

This is cool news, I wonder if my wife would let me buy a cheap second hand GC.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Blog Entries

FPC 4 GameCube?

Oh no! We've created a monster!

:lol:

Very nice work, my friend. An excellent example of a compiler made out of spite. I like it!

I wonder if this means a boom in other game console ports of FPC will be forth-coming. Maybe if we all make enough noise many users will pickup on these projects and take a major interest.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

FPC 4 GameCube?

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Oh no! We've created a monster!

:lol:

Very nice work, my friend. An excellent example of a compiler made out of spite. I like it!

I wonder if this means a boom in other game console ports of FPC will be forth-coming. Maybe if we all make enough noise many users will pickup on these projects and take a major interest.
    :mrgreen:

Well, I hope so... These PowerPC and PPC64 fpc compilers could tourn out useful

Blog Entries

FPC 4 GameCube?

I wonder how supportive Nintendo would be of your cause should they catch wind of it. Perhaps this is an aspect that should be considered aswell.

They would be a great lift in prestige if they aswell started on the path that it looks like Sony took with opening up game consoles to amatures and independants by supporting Linux on their new PS3 system.

Nintendo, geared up to start slamming on the innovation drums, this time could be prime to put out a 'serious' campaign for Pascal on Nintendo's gaming consoles. *ahem*Wii*ahem*
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

FPC 4 GameCube?

I'm resuming this old thread because I have started a new porting project. This time my attempt will be aimed at GameCube and Wii
    GBA and NDS portings are very stable now and I need a new challenge, so I have decided to investigate about adding these new targets to fpc.
    I'll start with gamecube, because I already made some work on it. However, as far as I can see, Wii is a vitaminized GameCube (faster cpu/gpu, more ram) so, once we'll have a working gc porting, making a Wii will be pretty straightforward.
    I have started a new page on fpc's wiki about GameCube. Feel free to add anything you think it could help

Blog Entries

FPC 4 GameCube?

Excellent! Glad to hear you are still at it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

FPC 4 GameCube?

Wow, that sounds really cool. One question, how do you emulate those platforms... I mean in a way that you can develop on them?

FPC 4 GameCube?

I'll use an emulator (gcube) shipped with devkitPPC toolchain, that runs Wii executables too (as I already said, the Wii is a doped GameCube). AFAIK the first gamecubes, named HW2, have a serial port that could be used for debugging. It could be nice to find it for some bucks on ebay

Later, if the compiler grows and if I'll get some spare money, I could decide to buy a Wii

FPC 4 GameCube?

Yesterday I have got my first working executable from fpc4gamecube.
    Nothing amazing, only a coloured screen, but at least now I know that it will work

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast