Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Writing a better 2D engine. (Phoenix 2D Game Engine)

Writing a better 2D engine. (Phoenix 2D Game Engine)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    Hi Andreaz,

I've downloaded your latest version (dated april 2007) today and I came across a couple errors/problems while compiling the demos.

The Canvas demo finalizes immediately after starting. The log file doesn't say a whole lot more than that either, I'm afraid.

In several demo's (sprites for example) an error in file phxTexture.pas at line 1446 appears saying incompatible types: 'FIBitmap' and PFIBitmap.

Anyway, it still seems like a very promising project, I hope you're continuing the work
    The canvas problem; probably some kind of nullpointer exception i've overlooked, they dont show in the log.

For the pxhTexture problem, compiler and version ?
    Amnoxx

Oh, and this code appears to be an approximate replacement for return(random() & 0x01);

Phoenix Wiki
    http://www.phoenixlib.net/

Phoenix Forum
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewforum.php?f=71

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz
    For the pxhTexture problem, compiler and version ?
    Delphi 7 PE

Hmm, okey. That makes no sence since i've doing the dev in D7, and that version was kindof rushed the final stages to get it working.

I have coded alot since then so it may be helped, and yes it's getting close to 1.0, more or less all the features for v1.0 is implemented, only left some testing and debugging.

I have to fix the homepage aswell, but time... gash !
    Amnoxx

Oh, and this code appears to be an approximate replacement for return(random() & 0x01);

Phoenix Wiki

Phoenix Forum

Phoenixlib is superb

I've been getting to know this lib recently and demos are fantastic. I plan to use some free time here and there to work on a 2D shooter. So far I have designed my own ship, dropped in a makeshift starfield using an off-screen particle fountain, ship movement, and basic bullets are working.

I'm looking forward to grasping the collision detection, which I understand is even capable of dealing with rotation. Also, I wouldn't mind getting a demo of loading a .phxmap, smoothly scrolling it, etc... though I'm sure this is part of the delay for 1.0 since most of the Tiles stuff I've tested seemed the least polished of the demos.

Andreaz, thanks for creating a such a cool 2D library for Delphi/Pascal. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to your next big update.

Re: Phoenixlib is superb

Quote Originally Posted by crackmeal
    I've been getting to know this lib recently and demos are fantastic. I plan to use some free time here and there to work on a 2D shooter. So far I have designed my own ship, dropped in a makeshift starfield using an off-screen particle fountain, ship movement, and basic bullets are working.

I'm looking forward to grasping the collision detection, which I understand is even capable of dealing with rotation. Also, I wouldn't mind getting a demo of loading a .phxmap, smoothly scrolling it, etc... though I'm sure this is part of the delay for 1.0 since most of the Tiles stuff I've tested seemed the least polished of the demos.

Andreaz, thanks for creating a such a cool 2D library for Delphi/Pascal. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to your next big update.
    Yeah, the rotating collisions will be in 1.0, not that shure about the tile engine through, there's alot of considerations for the tiles that i havn't decided yet.

But if there's interest i can release the code-so-far of that one aswell...
    Amnoxx

Phoenix Wiki

Phoenix Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz
    [pascal]inc(interest);[/pascal]

I am even more interested because of the words "rotating collision." I downloaded and tried the binaries just yesterday and was really impressed. Rotating collisions will just be icing on the cake.

I'm seriously thinking of working with Phoenix now. Cross platform things are more interesting with the advent of Vista I must say.

There is an interest

I started on a game in Phoenix, but decided to put in on hold, waiting to see what the upcomming release of Phoenix can do for it.

I would personally like to see how much progress you've done since the last release, and I'm pretty sure there are others who agree with me
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Hey Andreaz, are you using FastGEO for collision detection? It might really help you accelerate the inclusion of collision detection of all types and let you get back to finishing off version 1.0!

Blog Entries

How many demos/examples are there available for this library now? If you have a few 'mini' games a showcase page might be a great way to 'display' them all to attract interest.

The eyes are the strongest of all our 5 senses, no?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    Hey Andreaz, are you using FastGEO for collision detection? It might really help you accelerate the inclusion of collision detection of all types and let you get back to finishing off version 1.0!
    No, i'm using a custom build engine based on the Seperating Axis Theorem with support for polygons and circles, more primitives may come if needed.

The collision responces arent 100% working and will not be in 1.0, it's really hard getting accurate results in this section. (However not many libs supports even rotating collision objects so i'm quite pleased with the result nontheless).

But FastGEO may prove usefull in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    How many demos/examples are there available for this library now? If you have a few 'mini' games a showcase page might be a great way to 'display' them all to attract interest.

The eyes are the strongest of all our 5 senses, no?
    There's a 10 demos or so avaiable for now, i have a few game demos in the making, it takes alot of time creating graphics and such through.

I have spent some time latly on improving the various editors, a brand new font editor, improvments to the image editor, gui etc.

The last few days i've been going over all sources to make shure it compiles in fpc aswell as delphi 7 and making shure the demos has up do date projects for both compilers.

I'm spending a few days at the beach now as finally the summer weather has catched up with us here in sweden, have two veeks vacation left and my intention is to have 1.0 relased before that is over

And finally the status of the Tile engine is as follows; more or less the thing that is done so far is the rendering and layer handling, and only for normal rectangular grids, havn't really came up with a good way of handling isometric grids and collisions and such... It's easy to design a tile engine for a specific game, alot more troublesome to make one dynamic enough to support rpg's platforms and isometric games at once

Thanks for all the post through, it really gives one more enery and will to work on the lib's when people discusses is!

Andreas over and out!
    Amnoxx

Phoenix Wiki

Phoenix Forum

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast