Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GamePascal - Cross-platform Game Development in Object Pascal

GamePascal - Cross-platform Game Development in Object Pascal

GamePascal will be a cross-platform based game development system based around the Object Pascal language and powered by Simple DirectMedia Layer.

Download: Direct Link
    Version: R1
    Platform: WIN32, OSX32
    Game API: SDL2
    Web: http://tinybiggames.com
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/tinyBigGAMES
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/tinyBigGAMES
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/tinyBigGAMES

These are some of the features either already in or planned for a future release:

• Object Pascal (Delphi level 7 syntax)
    • Powered by SDL2
    • High-level game engine on top of SDL
    • Cross-platform (Win32, Win64, Macos and Linux)
    • Native code generation
    • Light-weight customizable IDE
    • Syntax Highlighting
    • Code Completion
    • Code Templates
    • Source Level Debugging
    • Plus much more...

The product will be developed and refined on win32 platform until it reaches a satisfactory level of maturity then it will be expanded to other platforms. We are looking for feedback, ideas and suggestion to help shape into a great and usable product. During the alpha/beta phase it will be free and most all features enabled for testing and feedback. It will to be a commercial product upon final release and very indie friendly. We plan to have a Free, Standard and Professional version. Those that contribute and provide feedback will be granted a free professional license and your name will be included in the credits (if you prefer) along with other incentives and special offers. More information and media coming soon.

Thanks for your consideration.
    Last edited by drezgames; 11-08-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Looks interesting. Unfortunately I see no planned Linux support. We don't know for sure now but with SteamOS and such maybe Linux can be the future of gaming and I think it is shortsighted not to support it.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

@Cybermonkey
    Hi, yea Linux support is planned, I just forgot to include, sorry about that. I've updated the post to reflect. Thanks for pointing out the oversight.

Ah, thanks for that. Looking forward to it, in the meantime I'll try the Win32 version.
    BTW, which SDL2 bindings are you using? From here? https://github.com/ev1313/Pascal-SDL-2-Headers
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Hmm, some sort of deja vu here... just can't remember the name of similar project which has gone with author.

updated: remembered! SvPascal
    Last edited by Andru; 21-10-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Hmm, some sort of deja vu here... just can't remember the name of similar project which has gone with author.

updated: remembered! SvPascal
    and BareGame i think...

@Cybermonkey
    Great, thanks! Actually when I first started working on GP, I had found these headers. Since that time I've updated them a bit and made small improvements. I will contact the author and share my improvements if He wants. They are minimal and I am sure they have already been updated by now.

@Andru
    Hi, yea, was not possible to complete it back at that time. There where some technical issues that prevented me from continuing. However, all that was learned is being brought forward. Now, I think I will be able to complete the project since many things are now in proper alignment. I will continue to iterate until it's done. Hopefully I can get great feedback along the way.

@azrael11
    Hi, I've seen this, but its not my project. Respect to BareGame developer. What's great is that we have many choices. We can pick what works for us and make great games.

I love Pascal as do all of us here, so I want a development system that is gamedev focused, affordable, great features and easy to use. For example take Construct 2, when you export to Node-Webkit, it will create a project for Windows, MacOS and Linux all at once. That sort of ease of use I like to see. What if you can just select the platform, hit compile and there it is... BAM! No hoops to jump through... it Just Works™. Something I noticed with GameMaker is when you export to Windows, it can create a packed EXE, and installer EXE or a folder structure with all needed files for deployment. Now for me, I love the "feel" of code so I want to see a code editor where I can get down and dirty, but why not have features in the IDE that make development easier? In time I hope to add the things that developers need. Give me your feedback and we can try to get it in.

Development is hard and time consuming. We often can not anticipate the problems that lie ahead. I have many failed projects that can testify to this. I think this is common to all us developers. But what I have realized is that I can always go back over my old projects and pull something out that I learned/discovered/developed and bring if forward and use it to maybe finish another project.

It's now way easier to compile to these different platforms, and different ways to build and test on them. For example, if you do not own Mac hardware, rent it. I was so impressed with them that I rent a dedicated server. I have real mac hardware to work on, until I can of coarse get Macs in the office and all. In the mean time, this is the next best thing for me.

If I was not a Embarcadero Technology Partner, I could not afford to update Delphi every year. Sigh! Up until 2006 I had purchased every version since Turbo Pascal 3.x (1985). That's a long time and a lot of money when you think about it (phew, I just did). So I am thankful for being accepted into the program.

So the barrier to entry is much better (and cheaper) now, which for me, makes it possible to maybe... actually... finish this thing? Fingers Crossed! Haha.
    Last edited by drezgames; 21-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by piradyne View Post
    @Cybermonkey
    Great, thanks! Actually when I first started working on GP, I had found these headers. Since that time I've updated them a bit and made small improvements. I will contact the author and share my improvements if He wants. They are minimal and I am sure they have already been updated by now.
    Thanks, I will have a look. What I am most interested in is that you obviously statically linked the library to the executable. How can this be achieved?
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Actually I found no easy way to do it so far. Having just sdl2.dll was not so bad, but by the time _mixer, _net, _image and _ttf was added, the DLL count on Windows is high. For the Windows platform I'm currently using Enigma Virtual Box (specifically the more advanced version that comes in The Enigma Protector, no protection features are enabled, only taking advantage of the higher compression and other enhancements) to bind all the DLLs to gprun_win32.exe.

The idea is to have a gprun_xxx for each platform so compile/deploy become easy. No complicated hoops to jump through. It contains all the dependencies needed to run either the bytcode or the native image on that platform.

Of course Avast will try to kill it so if you get this problem, there is no virus, just a false positive. In fact, it will try to stop any normal Delphi generated EXE at first. I had to exclude my whole DEV folder to prevent this annoying problem in general.
    Last edited by drezgames; 22-10-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Found some other SDL2 bindings: https://bitbucket.org/p_daniel/sdl-2...ascal-compiler
    Using them with your examples and freepascal works for 100% so far ...
    There are now at least 3 "official" bindings, some guys from freepascal should really port/add an official wrapper to FPC 2.6.x.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast