Thread: GamePascal - Cross-platform Game Development in Object Pascal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    @phibermon

Thanks. Yea it was kinda sorta working, haha. The code was a mess and I was really getting my feet wet with it. Also I was not thinking about cross-platform either. This new code base is being made with cross-platform in mind and is much more elegant. All the things I learned from that experiment I was able to bring forward and get a jump start. I am working toward a good and solid foundation that I can iterate on and keep adding needed features.

I think one of the worse things you run into when working on a project is coming to the realization that it was not thought out well enough and trying to add anything new or change the structure becomes a pain. This time around I was gonna use all the "cool" design patterns and whatnot. Buuuut... you know how that can go... you end up planning and planning and not getting any code written. So I thought, what do I what here? For now, just a simple IDE that is functional, light-weight and I can add the features I need without too much fuss. I considered the things that caused me to get stuck the last time and threw all of that out. I brought forward code and concepts that worked and so far so good.

The most important thing is that I am having "fun" and staying motivated. Phew... I tell ya, it can be tough staying motivated. I tend to have two projects going. A main one and a experimental one. When I get stuck or need a break, I will work on my 2nd project for while to allow my mind to work on the solution. Amazing how well this works (at least for me). Also its great to have someone to bounce ideas off of too. Any way, sorry rambling. Haha.

1) Wow, talk about inspiration. I like reading things like this, especially when I get depressed and have no motivation.
    2) Another good one here too.
    Last edited by drezgames; 17-11-2013 at 05:58 PM.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Well I think it's fantastic work! and I totally agree, it's best to focus on things you enjoy at the time during development. Which is the beauty of working on multi-discipline projects like game engines, frameworks - There's all kinds of things to get your teeth into so when a particular problem or progress issue starts to remove the fun, you can just switch to another part of your code entirely.

I often find that when there's a bug or design challenge that I'm struggling with, I have an easier time of it when I focus on something else for a while and come back.

Thanks for the links!
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

This is a short video of me talking about the cool new features added in this update. Check it out!

@phibermon
    Hi, thanks very much. Yes, its very important that you remain (as much as possible) in a good frame of mind when developing your projects. As we all know, stuff just happens and we tend to get side tracked and bogged down in other life related issues. We must keep plugging away at it until we achieve our desired goals. Often times it takes way more to accomplish a given task than anticipated. Such as life. I've come to discover that life itself is just one big iterative process. We must keep hammering away until we finish. It's all about learning, growing and making better choices. Just one big debug process... haha.

Good, yea those links are fantastic. Great inspiration and some very good tips to keep oneself motivated and on track.