Thread: Delphi 5 and Win8.1 x64

Delphi 5 and Win8.1 x64

Hi,

Have you guys tried to run Delphi 5 on a new Win8.1 x64 Pro? Any luck?
    All I can get is frozen splash screen.. I was trying to install it in different locations, was giving all permissions and etc.

Any recommendation what I could do to fix it? Except stop using it

I know that I could run it on virtual machine but it works just fine on Win7 x32 or x64, which is my current OS for development. I just want to know if it's possible to start using 8.1 without vm.

Thanks,

If my memory serves me corectly Delphi 5 needs to have its debugger to be set as default system debuger. For this to be set certain registry entry changes needs to be done.
    This registry entries are in section of registry which is additionaly protected. What this means is that you probably would have to run the Delphi instaler with administrative privilegies.
    Also try starting Delphi with administrative rights.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    If my memory serves me corectly Delphi 5 needs to have its debugger to be set as default system debuger. For this to be set certain registry entry changes needs to be done.
    This registry entries are in section of registry which is additionaly protected. What this means is that you probably would have to run the Delphi instaler with administrative privilegies.
    Also try starting Delphi with administrative rights.
    if this is the case, you can also try to deactivate UAC.

Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    if this is the case, you can also try to deactivate UAC.
    I definitly would not recomend disabling UAC. Why? While UAC can be quite anoying sometimes by all those "Consent requests" it can increase your computers security quite a bit.
    For instance if you disable UAC then any program started with normal user privilegies can acces any file in any folder on your computer. This means it can easily change your system files and therefore compromise your system security.
    WindowsXP had one big security flaw. You could have easily make windows to load modified dynamic link library instead of correct system one by simply copying dynamic link library with the same name into "C:\Windows" while original file was under "C:\WIndows\System32".
    So why did windows load your modified DLL instead of defult system one in this case?
    When DLL's are being loaded Windows first searches for certain DLL in the folder of the application which is trying to load such DLL and if it doesen't find it there it then tries to find it in folders that are entered into system PATH eviroment variable. And since "C:\Windows" folder was specified before "C:\Windows\System32" this reulted in loading DLL from "C:\Windows" instead.
    Same goes for starting various system executables.

Most common use of this security flaw was to force Windows to load modified Svchost.exe instead of default one. So with it you gained full controll over all services that were running on a computer. So viruses utilizing this could create specific keyloging services and hide them from user or even kill Antivirus services.
    One of the viruses that used this approach was Salinity NSF.

I learned about this when my friends computer got infected by Salinity NSF and I had to clean it up.

Now in order for some program to cause same infection with UAC turned on such program needs to be started with elevated privilegies (Run as Administrator).

So I strongly disadvise of turning of the UAC. Instead installing program into different folder which is not protected by UAC can solve most of your problems.

Thank you guys for advices, I've knew about them. The reason is very simple, I was working in Win8 Preview and I thought that problem is in D5 but not in Windows itself.. stupid. After upgrading up to Win 8 Pro, Delphi works fine but yes, you need to install somewhere besides Program Files.

Nikolay.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    I definitly would not recomend disabling UAC. Why? While UAC can be quite anoying sometimes by all those "Consent requests" it can increase your computers security quite a bit.
    For instance if you disable UAC then any program started with normal user privilegies can acces any file in any folder on your computer. This means it can easily change your system files and therefore compromise your system security.
    WindowsXP had one big security flaw. You could have easily make windows to load modified dynamic link library instead of correct system one by simply copying dynamic link library with the same name into "C:\Windows" while original file was under "C:\WIndows\System32".
    So why did windows load your modified DLL instead of defult system one in this case?
    When DLL's are being loaded Windows first searches for certain DLL in the folder of the application which is trying to load such DLL and if it doesen't find it there it then tries to find it in folders that are entered into system PATH eviroment variable. And since "C:\Windows" folder was specified before "C:\Windows\System32" this reulted in loading DLL from "C:\Windows" instead.
    Same goes for starting various system executables.

Most common use of this security flaw was to force Windows to load modified Svchost.exe instead of default one. So with it you gained full controll over all services that were running on a computer. So viruses utilizing this could create specific keyloging services and hide them from user or even kill Antivirus services.
    One of the viruses that used this approach was Salinity NSF.

I learned about this when my friends computer got infected by Salinity NSF and I had to clean it up.

Now in order for some program to cause same infection with UAC turned on such program needs to be started with elevated privilegies (Run as Administrator).

So I strongly disadvise of turning of the UAC. Instead installing program into different folder which is not protected by UAC can solve most of your problems.
    your advice is right, but also keep in mind you are not alone, a good anti virus is a must to prevent further infections. my proposal was only to help running a quite older delphi compiler. in a time, i just walked that road and do some workanround to make it work. first thing i did, was to turn off uac, then i moved to delphi 7, then delphi 2007, now i'm a step before embracing fpc+lazarus, the only thing that stops me now is a huge code legacy, rewriting or adapting it is a big task to do.

Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    your advice is right, but also keep in mind you are not alone, a good anti virus is a must to prevent further infections.
    The problem is that mentioned attack usually disable AntiVirus software before it can be even detected. I once even saw how virus replaced few files from Avira Antivirus so it seemed that it works OK but infact it was compleetly disabled. The only way I figured out that it was disabled is when I started updating process but even when program was showing that it is downloading updated virus definition there was no network traffic.

When my friends computer got infected with Salinity NSF it took me two full days to figure out how it works. Luckily Eset NOD32 Antivirus did recognize that some file has similar proprties than those from Salinity virus familly. This gave me ability to google more about Salinity viruses and therefore forus my serching on right area to sucsessfully detect infection and even disinfect the computer manually.
    Another good thing was that I learned from where did infection first originated (recently installed software). This gaved me excelent chance to observe the infection itself on my virtual machine which I got purpously infected.

But since Salinity NSF was first time detected only three days before my friends computer got infected and no AntiVirus software had suficient information to defend from it at the time.

Anywhay even having best AnticVirus software doesn't help you much if there are severe security holes in OS.

Sorry for going off-topic but I feel this is information that could come usefull to everyone