Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freepascal new site design!

Freepascal new site design!

YAY! It rocks!!! Finally freepascal has got a very professional looking web site :shock:

http://www.freepascal.org
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Blog Entries

Very nice! I think we all have been waiting for this.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Wow! that just looks so nice! :shock:
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

If that site was a woman, I'd be asking it out . Don't tell my wife though.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

wohoo, nice! still, they could do something about the mspaintish logo...
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

The running cheetah functions as a brand and is a very strong one. Finding a proper replacement is very hard.

A strong brand? It animates too fast and is a little choppy with it's pixel based animation. I would say it's due a makeover too. Hard or not.

But the redesign is very nice.

Lazarus has a cheetah on a pilar, the Free Pascal book has a cheetah on the cover and so on. The cheetah is the symbol of Free Pascal and it is being used to make subtile visual links to the Free Pascal project. It has to be a running cheetah, much of the strong effect he has comes from the fact that he is moving. If somebody can design a better one, we'll take a look, but otherwise we're happy with him as he is.

A quick search of the standard model sites returns quite a few cheetah images. I'm no modeler, but it shouldn't be that difficult to take of the of ones in existance, animate it and cap it to a new file. Course then again, the existing one could simply be antialiased and it would look better.

The only problem I see with the current one is that its used all over by other sites and "artists" that claim they did it. You can even find it as an IM glyph.

Blog Entries

Well as many of you have probably read my article,
    'Free Pascal As A Popular Brand', I mention the Cheeta in my critique on the branding that we all know as Free Pascal.

There definately does need to be an upgrade or a revamp of the cheeta, though animated it's not a very daynamic mascott. He has not changed pose, or purpose in ages. That can kill most of the effectiveness of a good mascott, I'd recommend updating him and putting him in everyones face!

Make t-shirts, mugs, mousepads, little stuffed animals to hand out at those fairs and booths that Florian and Mr. Mathis go to. [size=9px](Expensive, but can be subsidized by all the money you guys make on professional support programs you sell, --*ahem* Apache, MySQL and PHP Teams do this and support such promotion and careers developing the AMP in LAMP by it.)[/size] Alternatively you can also just make him in different poses in different parts of the site. Have him sitting looking onward to the left or right [size=9px](a common cat-like pose)[/size], laying down mawling a Pengiun and/or a toaster [size](popular 90's Windows screensaver)[/size], etc... He's the attitude in Free Pascal use it! No guts, no glory I say.

As for the particular cheeta logo of them all. Why does it have to be animated? You can't animate him on a T-Shirt can you? Running yes, that is the popular logo that Free Pascal is known to have, but I'd say that you need a more stylized logo than an animated one. Stick him in a running pose at the least see how he looks as a still then try the animated aswell.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast