Thread: Turbo Delphi ?

Turbo Delphi ?

Is it the product from New DevCo ? :roll:

The link of it :

http://www.turboexplorer.com

Turbo Delphi ?

WOWSERS! Read the press release!!

Snippet:
    CUPERTINO, Calif. — August 8, 2006 — Today, the Developer Tools Group of Borland Software Corporation (NASDAQ: BORL) announced plans to release single language versions of Borland Developer Studio, the company’s development environment for Microsoft® Windows® and .NET applications. Bringing back the popular Turbo™ moniker, the new Borland Turbo products offer low-cost, language-specific rapid application development capabilities for students, hobbyist developers, occupational developers as well as individual professionals.

The Turbo product set includes Turbo Delphi® for Win32, Turbo Delphi for .NET®, Turbo C++® and Turbo C#®. Each version will be available in two editions: Turbo Explorer, a free downloadable version, and Turbo Professional, a version priced less than $500 which is designed to accept thousands of available third-party tools, components and plug-ins. All Turbo editions enable developers to rapidly build high performance GUI, Database, Web, and Web Services applications for Microsoft Windows. Turbo Delphi for .NET and Turbo C# support the Microsoft .NET and ASP.NET platforms. More information is available at www.turboexplorer.com.

Blog Entries

Turbo Delphi ?

Well this is actually some pretty nice news.

Though I'm still bitter about the descision to throw the language name to the wind(It's Object Pascal damnit! :evil, I can let it pass if it means that they will be offering more support for the Indie community, like this brand spaking new announcement states.

There will be a free downloadable version[size=9px](I assume it's a limited or trial edition)[/size], and a Professional for less than $50 or $100. Very cool!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Turbo Delphi ?

Very cool in did!
    This might appealing to a different slice of the programming market, as not every user can pay 1,000 USD..
    [size=9px]BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*
    <br />tv b+ DI++ D+ e++ h+ G-
    <br />END GEEK CODE BLOCK[/size]
    <br />Create your own GeekCode block at: <a href="">...</a>

Turbo Delphi ?

Some interesting news. Will they highjack the TurboPower brand name?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Turbo Delphi ?

If you read the feature difference list, it looks like you can't add 3rd party controls or IDE addons into the Express version of the product. At least the price on the Pro version should be low enough that we can afford it. Now if only they would make it so that you can change the backend compiler to FPC if you wanted to, I'd be more then happy

Turbo Delphi ?

Wow, finally some good news from Borland!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Turbo Delphi ?

3rd party additions or no, I'm still dancin' in the kitchen! For less then $500 I can get the whole compiler, rather then $1000 for the entry level with the older versions.

*cash register chime*

Turbo Delphi ?

I do not think this is a so good deal. Or at least not for those people who use both object pascal for win32 and .net . They would need to buy two licenses at $500 which is the same as delphi 2006 pro. But that one is cheaper as upgrade where it only costs $499. I will pass this one.

Besides visual studio standard for one language only costs $149 in full version. If there would be a standard version with support for building and using own components (not plugins) and costing the same as visual studio standard things would be different. (And no i do not count student versions as full versions).
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Turbo Delphi ?

I would be surprised if Delphi 2006 would go away, so you can still buy the full product if you want. IMHO the news here is that Borlands is starting to get interrest in the amateur market again, to which many people here will belong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast