Thread: The Turbo Is Back!

Blog Entries

The Turbo Is Back!

As many of the followers of the new DevCo seperation from Borland, know this is big step towards giving the power back to the development tools that have been so sorely neglected in the past many years. This is of course the very same group that that will be taking with it, the software development tools and suites such as Delphi, C++ Builder, JBuilder and whole whack of others.

The announcement came just yesterday with the launch of a new site called TurboExplorer.com. The new DevCo, will be bringing back the 'Turbo' in it's product lines!

What is Turbo Explorer you ask? It's a line of Explorer editions of the popular Delphi, C++ Builder, Delphi for .NET and C# Builder compiler and IDE suites that will be targeted towards YOU the indie developer. [size=9px]*pauses for jumpping and cheering*[/size]

For too long has the average student and indie developer waited for Borland to get off it's rump and give us something we can really sink out teeth into without choking hopelessly on the price tag.

As another important aspect and probable advantage to this new avenue of marketing highschools, universities and institutions around the globe who teach computer science [size=9px](especially in the US and Canada)[/size] really have had no Pascal offerings that would be budget friendly. So it's no question as to why Pascal has slipped into obscurity from North American highschool and university courses. The new Turbos could help change all that!

The Turbo Explorer editions will be available for FREE via download, while the Turbo Professional editions will cost less than $500 USD and will be [size=9px]"designed to accept thousands of available third-party tools, components and plug-ins"[/size].

More information can be found about the new 'Turbo' press release at www.TurboExplorer.com!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

The Turbo Is Back!

I'd really love to see them expand the range and include turbo kylix. Or, can turbo delphi .net create code to run under mono?

Has anyone heard what's happening with the current BDS product?

I'm hoping this will be a way for them to generate some interest in pascal again.

The Turbo Is Back!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenophran
    I'd really love to see them expand the range and include turbo kylix. Or, can turbo delphi .net create code to run under mono?

Has anyone heard what's happening with the current BDS product?

I'm hoping this will be a way for them to generate some interest in pascal again.
    I personally did some initial Delphi.NET to Mono testing back in the Delphi 2005 days. At the time command line applications worked fine on Win32 and Linux. Winforms applications however had a few issues back then with the added hassle of Mono Winforms not being totally feature complete. This may have changed recently, but I have not tested it.

The current BDS product will become part of DevCO and I would guess will be part of the Turbo range.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

The Turbo Is Back!

EXCELLENT!

i agree, a turbo kylix and turbo (something for OS X) are needed [size=9px]lazarus is giving me real headaches on my mac[/size]

The Turbo Is Back!

Marmin^.Style

The Turbo Is Back!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand the Turbo versions are for poor fellows like me, but I can't extend the explorer version with new components like Asphyre or GLScene.
    If that is this case I'll be more likely to keep using my Delphi7 PE than using the turbo version.
    However it seems to me that the turbo version has some other advantages when it comes to database development and internet development.
    I'm confused so could a nice and smarter person than I please write down turbo's advantages and disadvantages compared to 7 PE, so that I know if I should be happy or really don't care.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

The Turbo Is Back!

You can extend the forms, but not through designtime components. So you simply have to make it all a run-time creation and manipulation of components.

The Turbo Is Back!

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio
    I can't extend the explorer version with new components like Asphyre or GLScene.
    If that is this case I'll be more likely to keep using my Delphi7 PE than using the turbo version.
    only a few lines of extra initialization code per component will be needed to do the exactly same job as now....you just won't be able to drag&drop the component on the form.....

The Turbo Is Back!

I can't help it but the turbo deal does not strike like value for money to me. e.g. take a look at the price of visual studio .net standard 2005 which gets you c++ c# j# and visual basic with database tools for €326,89. I think if they drop the price of $500 per language to $200 per language they make a chance or make a same bundle deal like ms for the ms price. (it only needs pascal for win32 and pascal for .net) Also comparing it to delphi2006 you only get two languages out of 4 at the same price.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming