As I've said time and time again: Borlands largest mistake was in its marketing. Lets face it, for the longest time they had the BEST compiler and compiler tools on the market. Instead of getting a good agency behind them and pushing their compilers, they chose to let word of mouth spread it. At the same time MS and Intel were out beating the bushes and giving away free copies of their compilers to anyone that wanted to show up.

Who showed up, the upper management, decesion makers, key stakeholders, hobbiest, and many others. Thus MS takes the lead. Visual Basic (a poor design and implementation at the time, and still not completely up to par) takes over because its in all of the schools (ah yes another good placement for low cost long term investment). It shows up all over. Yet, Borland still does not push nor advertise their compilers.

You can see the same result on the rest of their products as well. StarTeam was one of the best code management tools with a great integration scheme. Before anyone else was really doing it. Borland buys them and poof they go bye-bye from the ad world.

Upper management, yeah they are a problem as well. Lets only hope that Dev-Co listens and learns from its parent's mistakes. Lets hope that they find the way back into the Key Stakeholders pockets, and lets hope that they can actually keep up with the market trends.

As for other borland products, I've never liked Borland. I like Delphi (only because its the best pascal IDE on the market), but soon FPC is going to reach its level. Chrome is already LIGHTYEARS AHEAD of Delphi for .NET, and they push it.

Then again, what do I know...