Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Render Freeze - Please Help

Render Freeze - Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by Huehnerschaender
    But there must be a way to avoid this, because there are applications which do not stop working when being dragged.
    Can you name any Microsoft applications that do this?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    IE if you move the window while a page is loading the logo will still be updated, same goes for the inpage animations.
    [size=9px]BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*
    <br />tv b+ DI++ D+ e++ h+ G-
    <br />END GEEK CODE BLOCK[/size]
    <br />Create your own GeekCode block at: <a href="">...</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Huehnerschaender
    But there must be a way to avoid this, because there are applications which do not stop working when being dragged.
    Yes as i said earlier Windows Media Player continues to play video while being dragged as do most other non-Microsoft players. Don't know how they manage it

Quote Originally Posted by tanffn
    Don’t have the time to test it right now, but I think that it will stop the primary/gui thread. So maybe if you’ll run a second thread that will do the actual processing and drawing it will still work.

If non of you will I can try and test it tomorrow.
    Thanks. I'm not familiar with threaded apps, so if you do get it to work could you please post the code for the setup/render loop

Quote Originally Posted by mancunian
    Yes as i said earlier Windows Media Player continues to play video while being dragged as do most other non-Microsoft players. Don't know how they manage it
    Easy. You never grab the window frame, but a panel within the frame (an imitation window frame if you will) that permits a drag while rendering.

Otherwise, if you use a standard window all I can say is "Tough luck", because it's a Microsoft-ism. You'll have to ask them why they did it that way.

Windows Media Player and most of the players don't render using the stander GUI/Desktop overlay and they are not even in charge of the decoding/rendering.. so its not really a good comparison.
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*

Done some testing and when you drag a window (on mouse move) the app will freeze, its much more noticeable if you press (and not release) the X of the window.
    If you play an MP3 in Windows Media Player It will also stop the animation but not the sound, if you play a video file its again not controlled in the same thread + overlay.

I guess the only way to fully bypass it is by creating your own GUI (i.e Winamp, QuickTime Player), am I wrong?

EDIT: OOPS ops: I does work, I uploaded a Threaded demo to:
    www.global-rd.com/ariel/freeze.zip

I was messing around with one of the JEDI-SDL timer demos yesterday, and I think moving the animation to a secondary thread may work. Again it would need to be tested. But I have to ask, is it such a bad thing to have the animation stop when you are dragging the Window?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I was messing around with one of the JEDI-SDL timer demos yesterday, and I think moving the animation to a secondary thread may work. Again it would need to be tested. But I have to ask, is it such a bad thing to have the animation stop when you are dragging the Window?
    It should work, as even in my above demo I made it work with TImage.

Hi Tanffn

Your demo does not work for me. It counts up at the most to 13 or so and then image stops being drawn to. This occurs even if I don't move the mouse or anything.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Quote Originally Posted by czar
    Hi Tanffn

Your demo does not work for me. It counts up at the most to 13 or so and then image stops being drawn to. This occurs even if I don't move the mouse or anything.
    What can I say czar.. it works fine here, tested it several times until I gave up (300-600).

How many times did you try? You can always look at the code as its very straight forward.
    I'm using XP Pro sp2, whats your spec?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast