alright, i have almost 100% success in my demo program, which swaps a single sound in and out of the "barrier", it works with loops as well - that means if you swap the sound at certain point and swap it back the stream position will get adjusted, so it will seem like the sound was still playing when outside of openal

i also noticed a slight error in the documentation, sometimes there are references to AL_MSEC_OFFSET, but there is only AL_SEC_OFFSET, which is float, it returns a float with 2 digits precision after the decimal separator.

i also noticed, that i can set AL_PITCH to anything between 0.01 to 4.5, according to documentation it says it should be from 0.5 to 2.0, interesting indeed.. can someone with hardware openal check how far this can go and if it differs on different implementations?

i think, if i get this wrapped into a decent sound manager package, it would make openal much more suitable for indie projects, than other packages like fmod, which are not free. also, when vista comes, the only hardware accelerated audio will be supported thru openal, directsound is no longer hardware accelerated in windows vista!!