Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Game Engine on Android and iOS, and "Darkest Before the Dawn" game release

Castle Game Engine on Android and iOS, and "Darkest Before the Dawn" game release

Hi everyone,

Two great news about Castle Game Engine (open-source 3D game engine for FPC/Lazarus):

1. We support Android and iOS (iPhone, iPad) now.
    2. During a weekend "gamejam" in November 2013, I made a small game "Darkest Before the Dawn". See http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net...efore_dawn.php. The game is available for Android (from Google Play), you can also download a standalone version for Linux or Windows. Have fun

More news about the recent engine developments are here.

Happy new year!

darkest_before_dawn_1.png

hi
    this is really good news , +1 for supporting such platforms
    i downloaded the game and it works perfectly in windows , but android i got nothing only black screen (samsung galaxy s advance) .
    am not sure but i think it is because opengles , i have installed an opengl application called (opengl 3D Showcase) , this app extract opengl informations such as
    GL_VERSION : OpenGL ES-CM 1.1 , GET_GLES_VERSION:2.0 , now i don't fully understand what's the difference between these 2 informations!.

keep developing this great engine

Quote Originally Posted by AirPas View Post
    GL_VERSION : OpenGL ES-CM 1.1 , GET_GLES_VERSION:2.0
    It looks like you have both 1.1 and 2.0 OpenGLES version, which is a common situation for Android >= 2.3. The engine uses only OpenGLES 2.0. If you would not have OpenGL ES 2.0, Google Play would not even let you install the app on the device, so you're fine in that regard

As for the black screen, I already have 2 other bugreports about it. It looks like NativeActitivity fails on some Samsung devices... We're investigating a fix

Thanks for the good words!

remark ,i think its the only (disadvantage) for this engine
    the engine seems large in size , empty window = 4Mb ! , i think its too much , since some people inculding me having allergy against the app size.

Great news michalis and great work... συγχαρητήρια...

My small suggestion is to add/hire a graphic designer and a wed designer to give a large push to your work...
    This is my problem too ....

Keep programming...

remark ,i think its the only (disadvantage) for this engine
    the engine seems large in size , empty window = 4Mb ! , i think its too much , since some people inculding me having allergy against the app size.
    but how many people won't play a game because of that?

I don't think a large size for an engine is that much of a problem, if the engine has a lot to give. And that might be possible to trim down even more (using strip I suppose).

The problem I found with the game on my phone (Nexus S with CyanogenMod 10.2), is that I can't look and move at the same time. Like it does not support multi-touch, or simply is not intended to work that way. I don't have this problem with other games. Also, it ran only with the fastest setting, but the phone is limited I suppose with the amount of stuff I got installed.
    Existence is pain

Code:
    but how many people won't play a game because of that?
    i was talking from the programmer's perspective and not from the user , some users don't even know where is the exe

in the end its just an opinion , i remember Tomb Raider Anniversary exe was 4Mb

in the end its just an opinion , i remember Tomb Raider Anniversary exe was 4Mb
    If my memory serves me correctly Tomb Raider Anniversary also had a bunch of dll's in its folder. So don't you think it is posible that one of them actually contained graphical engine?
    You see the size of the exe itself can't be used to tell the size of an app. You need to check the size of all binary files which include (graphical engine, sound engine, network engine, etc.).

Do you know that empty LCL based Application build with Lazarus using default settings already use 4,2 MB of memory and that the exe is 14.1 MB in size?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Do you know that empty LCL based Application build with Lazarus using default settings already use 4,2 MB of memory and that the exe is 14.1 MB in size?
    yeah but that's with embedded debug info. without it my game.exe is 2.4MB using LCL and some other stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast