Thread: multiplayer (and LNet)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    You're welcome, I've given a lot of thought to this messaging model of net code, always happy to share ideas.

I actually have nearly every part of my engine as a messenger along with clientID's and routing. you can do bizzare things like run your sound manager on a different computer and have it recieve the sound messages from local or network requestors. My GUI is the same, mousemouve/onclick/hover etc messages. I can actually do something similar to X and have a window/controls on one computer sending all the messages back to the actual app instance on another computer.

The messenger/actor model is very powerful! well worth any performance penalties!

EDIT : Just in case anybody doesn't know, UDP packets don't always arrive in the same order you sent them and sometimes they don't even arrive BUT if they do arrive, it is garunteed that the data they contain is complete and CRC checked.
    Last edited by phibermon; 30-12-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.