Thread: what to choose for android development

what to choose for android development

I asked this on lazarus forums but didn't get an answer. I've seen some android related projects here so maybe someone can help. I'm working on sort of audio app which is primarly for windows but I'd also would like version for mobiles. How do I go about the interface? There's seem to be couple of approaches: customdrawn, opengl etc. Any one can share their experience? I'm looking for something that will allow me to create simple controls like buttons and sliders without wasting too much time on this side of project. Firemonkey would be it if not for the price and poor performance..

From my recent experience : Get the android SDK, which includes Eclipse and do it with google's development tools. Getting used to java won't take long if you know any recent oo language (took me about a week to write my first apps). And there are plenty of tutorials that describe the different android UI elements, views, OpenGL ES, etc.
    You actually can do OpenGL ES (and very basic and limited GUI) stuff with Lazarus on Android, but I found it pretty cumbersome, and since the OpenGL (ES) syntax is same, no matter what language, I decided to go with java for my current mobile game project. It also incorporates a simple GUI, so if you want to you can use OpenGL ES for your GUI, though android brings in plenty of capsulated UI elements that you can easily put together (in a visual editor).

but will it also run on windows?

Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    but will it also run on windows?
    Yes if written using Java and some framework like libGDX or similar

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    It's Java so any code you write that doesn't depend on any target specifcs will be fine. However there's different feature sets to target and other platform quirks so there will be sections of abstraction and interface code that will have to be written with Android in mind and same again for the full JRE on desktops.

So much for compile once run everywhere...

EDIT : unless as paul states, you use something like libGDX which handles all of that for you
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.