Thread: Welcome to PGD! Make your first post here in this thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Introduction

Hello everybody!

I'm still new in this forum. I learnt Turbo Pascal 7 when I was a student - many years have passed since, and I found again the Pascal language in FreePascal and Lazarus nowadays. I would like create small (or professional) games with it, and I hope, I will find answers to my questions and I will publish my games.

As ever: Tomi

my first post

Hello,
    I am progammer using mainly C++, C#, SQL in work and when I was in high school I used C(my first language) and Java. I never code in Pascal or Pascal's dialects. The same I never make any game (and I never try make game). In spite of that I want to make a strategy 2d games in Pascal. Why Pascal? Because programs in Pascal are usually efficient (memory usage, speed, etc) in comparative level as C/C++ and less bug prone than C/C++.

Quote Originally Posted by niketas View Post
    Why Pascal? Because programs in Pascal are usually efficient (memory usage, speed, etc) in comparative level as C/C++ and less bug prone than C/C++.
    Well I believe you are the first C++ programmer I have seen to claim that. Usually it is the opposite especially regarding the performance.
    Any way my experience taught me that the language is not so important but rather how it is used by the programmer. So if you are using right programming approaches you can make memory efficient well performed and bugles program in any programming language. Same as you can make shitty program in any language if you are using bad programming approaches.
    Having sad that you probably won't gain much in form of final memory efficiency or game performance if making your game in Pascal.
    But you could get some benefit of using Pascal and that is mainly faster compile times. I guess I don't have to tell you how fast compile times can be useful when you don't have to wait several minutes just because of small code change.
    I think that faster compile times are the main advantage of Pascal in comparison to C++. And these are achieved by compiling and storing every unit in a way that it can be simply linked to the final program. So when you make a small change to the source code only the units in which code was changed needs to be recompiled. Of course if you will have lots of small units linking all of them into final program could still be a lengthy process. You can combat that by joining multiple units into packages so that only that specific packages are recompiled. But that makes managing a project a bit harder to maintain.

Any way welcome to PGD
    I hope your stay here would be as pleasant as possible and I'm looking forward to your games. I love playing good strategy games.

chuxlo

I study to program on delphi, but sometimes there is a necessity for a help.
    Therefore registered on this site.

Cool Hi pascalgamedevelopers! from Catalonia Spain

Hi pascalgamedevelopers,

I'm turrican (turri for friends

I'm here because I like to develop games with Pascal/ObjectPascal syntax and learn with all of you and like to share my knowledge.

My last project is a Library Wrapper for Tilengine and I like to share with you.

Tilengine is a free, cross-platform 2D graphics engine for creating classic/retro games with tilemaps, sprites and palettes. Its unique scanline-based rendering algorithm makes raster effects a core feature, a technique used by many games running on real 2D graphics.

chip
    s.

servotrophy424

Hi

Hi, I'd like to join the community. Regards

Introduction Nattsurf

Hello everyone I'm a Swedish programmer. Not currently working in Pascal but I'm exploring. I'm also going to create video tutorials pretty soon. I hope you will have use for them.Cheers.

Hey guys

Hey, my name is Andreas. I'm a 27 year old guy from the north of Sweden.
    I've spent the last few years doing part time work for a small electronics development company, that uses Delphi for it's computer-based programs.
    Since work has really slowed down this year, I figured I'd finally make an attempt at pursuing my dream of being a game developer.

I've been told Pascal might not be the best language to start learning game programming in, but I still figured I'd make a try. It's the only advanced programming language I'm good with, and to be honest I've always disliked C's syntax.
    So I was really excited to find this site and learn that there are other people working on making games with Pascal!

I'm currently working on a turn-based sci-fi simulation/strategy game, kind of inspired by "King of Dragon Pass". It's still in an early stage of development, but I'd like to think I have a solid concept for a game.
    Lately however, I've been realizing just how different video game programming can be, compared to the normal programs I've been making. And that my current knowledge of programming just isn't enough to make an efficient game.
    So I'm hoping you guys might be able to give me some feedback, or at least point me in the right direction so I'll know what I need to learn to make my ideas work.

First Post

I am here mostly to connect a bit with other Pascal developers. I am a hobbyist and I mostly use Unity 3D with Delphi Prism (Oxygene), though I do occasionally use Free Pascal/Lazarus, or C# (though with the Oxidizer tool, most C# quickly just becomes Oxygene flavored Object Pascal with a tiny bit of work. I am mostly interested in games targeting desktop Linux and Windows (I don't even have a Mac to test with), but I do have some interest in application development too. I started off with Commodore 64 BASIC, and went on to Turbo Pascal and here I am today still with a love of this wonderful language.

I certainly am also interested to hear if anyone else uses Oxygene for .Net/Mono development or especially with Unity 3D. One thing that would improve my workflow is if I could add a plugin into Unity that would treat a pascal script like C# one, after all they are both languages that can be used with Mono, but I admit a bit of ignorance as to the actual steps unity makes to compile it's C#, Java or Boo source code, but I am fairly certain that it doesn't take care of the actual compilation. If it doesn't, then it seems like it would be fairly trivial to use Pascal without having to compile the DLLs in Visual Studio or Monodevelop and import them to Unity.

roger1819

Hi !

Hi! my name is roger and i am programmer hobby pascal games with DelphiX