Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Welcome to PGD! Make your first post here in this thread

Verification

Hi there

About to publish my very first game on Steam, written entirely using FPC - keen to sign up and share experiences with any other devs.

Been coding in Delphi a long time. Back to looking into Asphyre engine.

main reason for being here --- need to see if anyone has created a working sprite engine that will work in Lazarus. Ideally Asphyre 4.1 / Casual with spiteengine in Lazarus -- or even PXL. I just need to be able to code 2d games with a sprite engine basically. Asphyre 4.1 is great but dated and only supports Delphi.

Welcome to PGD.

Quote Originally Posted by DLPB View Post
    main reason for being here --- need to see if anyone has created a working sprite engine that will work in Lazarus. Ideally Asphyre 4.1 / Casual with spiteengine in Lazarus -- or even PXL. I just need to be able to code 2d games with a sprite engine basically. Asphyre 4.1 is great but dated and only supports Delphi.
    It's been a while since I last tinkred with Asphyre or PXL libraries. But unless there was a mayor change on how rendering is done I'm sure porting the old Sprite Engine from Asphyre 4.1 won't be to difficult. That is because from what I remember Sprite Engine basically just tells Asphyre Engine where and what to render. So you would only need to refactor this small portion of Sprite Engine code.

On the other hand you may want to check Castle Game Engine which supports both 2D and 3D rendering, has support for working with sprites (albeit in a different way than Sprite Engine for Asphyre). Castle Engine work both with Delphi or FPC, and even comes with its own Editor meaning you could potentially start designing your new game without writing a lot of code. CGE also supports many platforms like Windows, Linux, macOS, FreeBSD, Raspberry Pi, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch.
    And last and probably the best feature is that it is open source and being actively developed by many contributors.

I should probably point out I remembered this isn't my first time here.

I was Seifer - here:

https://www.pascalgamedevelopment.co...the-rest/page4

A total novice at that time - and asking some very silly questions. Had loads of issues with timing - like timegetime and other API not being ~1ms accuracy (often ~10). Turned out others hadn't noticed this. Clootie (just realized it was him!) found solution is to call timebeginperiod(1). These days, QPC is the way to go. I reprogram Final Fantasy VII as part of https://thereunion.live among other projects

as well as: https://www.eurogamer.net/why-would-...inal-fantasy-7

I've just successfully replaced the game loop and updated the frame limiter. FF7 PC original used rtdsc function - but the porting team forgot to call cpuid before it, which is a big no. But even then it's not reliable. QPC got some bad publicity in the past, but nearly all modern hardware is fine with it. So much so I've stopped using timegettime entirely. The other issue with calling timebeginperiod (which also increases accuracy of other api like sleep) is that it's system wide and you have to ensure to call timeendperiod at app close. So yeah - I don't like it.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...nternals-suite Clockres.exe will tell you what your current timer interval is. I guess that answers my post from 2006

Peace out

Dan Burke

Welcome back to PGD.

I just read the article about you re-translating FF7 and all I can say is WOW.

In the article I also read that FF7 files has all of its text duplicated. Why would that be? Did original FF7 developers perhaps intent for game to support two languages at the start but never fully implemented it?
    Perhaps they abandoned this because they would not be able to get translated text fast enough and waiting for translation would delay game release.

Hi, Silver

We're not entirely sure why. But it was nothing to do with any needed thing. I am fairly sure it was caused by them copying and pasting fields that were similar. So you get 1:1 copied text across fields that don't use it. I no longer use a tool to edit the files on disk- I've hooked to all text functions in the game and you can now retranslate to any roman letter based language with notepad.

Needed quite a bit of assembly fu - and I code in Delphi 7. The Opengl side was primarily coded by someone else and that's C. So the graphical side is handled in a different dll. All text based , bug fixes and so on is my own code.
    Last edited by DLPB; 31-08-2024 at 02:59 PM.

i am looking for the Android libSDL2.so , doe anyone have it?

i am looking for the Android libSDL2.so for ARM64 , doe anyone have it?

how can i get the ARM64 Android SDL2.so

I have been searching for the ARM64 SDL2.so library file for Android for a long time, and I have downloaded several versions of the SDL2 source code and compiled libSDL2.so myself, but none of them can be used directly in Delphi. After some research, I found that some people say SDL2 for Android can only be called using Java in Android Studio. Is that true?

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738