Thanks for your reply! Seems like I was a bit confusing. The function is nice, but it doesn't solve my issues. The code above was not part of my program, just a quick example of the source of my problem.

The main problem is that I can't get the program to test through all variations. It's a mathematical problem that I can't solve because of the weird way Pascal handles strings. This is what my program should really do:

Input1: Hash: e2075474294983e013ee4dd2201c7a73
Input2: Estimated maximum length of original characters: 4
Process:
Md5('0')->0
Md5('1')->0
Md5('2')->0
Md5('3')->0
Md5('9')->0
Md5('a')->0
Md5('b')->0
Md5('z')->0
Md5('00')->0
Md5('01')->0
Md5('02')->0
Md5('0a')->0
Mdt('0b')->0
Md5('a9')->0
Md5('aa')->0
Md5('ab')->0
Md5('ac')->Match Found
Md5('ad')->0
Md5('zzzz')->0

Output: 1 Match found: ac

Pascal has this nice function in the Md5 unit:

hash:=Md5Print(Md5String(string));

So hashing all the possible combinations, once they are generated, is not an issue.

See if there is a match is not an issue, since a single 'if' condition in the loop will do fine.

Making the program generate all the possible variations is the issue, because I can't write a procedure that handles string lengths dynamically. In Pascal your string must have a defined length, and you can't change that. Only deleting from the string, or adding to a string will change its length and it makes things very complicated in this case.

And no, lol I don't want to use it to break your passwords. Besides I wouldn't be able to. When I got my activation code it wasn't hashed in md5 so I guess your passwords aren't stored in md5 either (which is a pretty good decision as it is getting less and less secure). Cheers