Thread: Community Engine Announcement Discussions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Take a look at this library: http://code.google.com/p/la-pe/
    It is a scripting engine for FPC & Delphi
    Supports Pascal-like syntax, but no classes, it seems

Blog Entries
    Now thats quite pretty... It is lesser GPL code but surely theres some way we could fork that and improve it a bit to better suit our purposes if we wanted to...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Nice, but I have an objection. For scripting we must adhere to what's standard, sure we can write scripts in pascal alike, but Lua is predominant. Also was thinking about DX and OpenGL, my propose is to have an independent engine with external renders for graphics, same for audio.

The other thing that's floating in my mind is: are we going to make an embeded engine or a dynamic library? the first is good for pascal developers, the second is good for everyone. Remember, the spirit of this work is to compete pear-to-pear with other engines, so it is mandatory that we don't preset limits to it.

Blog Entries
    I agree with you on the renderer front. As for the second issue, why not make it a pascal project that benefits us primarily? Nothing is stopping us from making a dll or two that exposes the functionality in the engine...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend
    are we going to make an embeded engine or a dynamic library?
    If you want to use classes and support something else than Windows(where you can use COM) - forget about this.

Think we should primarily focus on making it an engine for Pascal developers. Making it embeddable is easiest since it's open source. I think other languages are covered by other solutions quite well.
    Existence is pain

Would it be possible to make rendering code so high level, that we could switch between OpenGL and DirectX with something simple like engine.API:=apiOpenGL; , without any other changes in program code? I'm thinking it would limit us to some rendering arrays or queues which is not a bad thing at all, on the opposite it can greatly speed it up. What we propably don't want to see at all is uses of glBegin..glEnd structures.