Thread: Community Engine Announcement Discussions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DirectX is unfortunately bound to Windows, and I guess that would put some members of the community unable to use the engine. Regarding OpenGL, I think we should use >= 3.1 - the API went a massive change in 3.1 (no more fixed pipeline), and regarding compliance - even my 2005 integrated GPU laptop supports OGL 3.1, so I don't really suppose there's much sense in going back as far as 2.X.

I could probably provide some data structure code - I have some various purpose trees, tries, lists et cetera. Eventually I could also try (well, I'm already working on that) to create some CFI for awful, allowing to use it as in-engine script language, but I think we'd be off better using Lua or something.

We will also have to agree on what license to use. I personally suggest zlib or MIT, but I'll be happy to listen to other options (as long as it's not GNU GPL cancer).
    Last edited by Super Vegeta; 25-04-2014 at 10:34 AM.

I don't see anything wrong with MIT at least, and it is compatible with GNU GPL too.
    edit: Might actually prefer zlib.

You can freely use nxPascal source code https://code.google.com/p/nxpascal/s...%2Ftrunk%2Fsrc
    Last edited by User137; 28-04-2014 at 12:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    Well, if we're offering code up, there the prometheus code over at http://sourceforge.net/projects/prom...urce=directory though I would HIGHLY recommend waiting for the next update that fixes pretty much everything as the update currently posted has (if I recall) a broken something in every file >.>

The problem being that the version I work on is for the ongoing UAV project, and as a bad coder I end up messing with the whole thing to get it to behave just so... So if anyones going to be interested in it, give me a heads up and I'll pull the latest source from that project, fix it and post
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

PGDCE Developer
    That's just my two cents.

Code Style:

License:
    • MIT (It's simple!)

Compilers:

• Delphi XE2 Up
    • FreePascal Trunk 2.7.x (Dotted unit)

I think we shouldn't support old delphi compilers. That way we can focus on the engine and make it simple, without a lot of ifdefs.

Graphics API:
    • DX 7 Up
    • OpenGL 1.1 Up
    • OpenGL ES 1.x Up

It's not hard to support these versions with a good engine structure. Initially we can add only OpenGL and later others.

Sound API:
    • OpenAL
    • DirectSound

Engine Structure:
    • Abstracts
      • Bitmaps
      • Canvas
      • Device
      • Provider (Graphic API)
      • SwapChains/Context
      • Texture

• Factory
    • Types
    • Utils (Color, Math, etc)

It's something like Asphyre structure, imo, it's the way to go.