Thread: Care for an 80% solution?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Mason, I see where you're coming from but as explained I think the PGDCE project would be inherently incompatible/very klud-ey (sorry for the english there).

That said - I agree with Dennis on the value of an engine such as yours. And although we're not settled on a licence, the jist of things so far would mean you could incorporate elements of the PGDCE engine to extend your own engine or at least speed up development and allow for targeting extra platforms.

On a slightly different note, there also isnt anything preventing you from creating a component that would plug into PGDCE (and its architecture, once its all decided) that would allow programs written from your engine to be run from inside the PGDCE or something of the sorts. Like an RPG SDK/environment one could load into the PGDCE for those types of games. This is just one of the benefits the modular architecture bring to the PGDCE.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    It gets couple hundred downloads every now and then, but that's about it. I blame the smallness of pascal gaming community I know some things of RPG maker myself, and been scripting something for it on someone elses project.

RPG Maker is software very clearly, not an engine.
    I was confused when you said that. Then I looked at your nxPascal project, and I realize we have a terminology confusion issue.

As I understand the terminology, what you have is "very clearly not an engine;" it's a library for game development. A game engine is a program that takes game data and interprets it in order to play a game, in which the basic content of the game is determined by the data and not by the program.

If we build community engine, it could be used to make a new RPG maker-kind of software package, but in my opinion it shouldn't be part of the main engine. I don't personally have much interest for Zelda type 2D-games, but i know many do. I wouldn't want to restrict the engine to anything at least. I think RTS genre made 3D and things like that can have potential still, but there are many more types. Most exciting ones are propably the ones nobody has thought before.
    Yeah. You're thinking of building a library. That's something very, very different.