Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Site Load Times

better slower but stable than faster and unstable & buggy if you ask me
    le programmeur

15 seconds is too much. Hosting provider definitely has problems.
    timing.jpg

After reviewin site statistics that AthenaOfDelphi shared with me it seems that main cause for slow loading of PGD are two bots which are causing huge trafic load out site. It is even posible that they are using most of the sites bandwich.
    We were discusing about blocking these bots but unfortunatly this probably won't be an easy job.

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As I explained to Silver, I'm not in a position to do too much of anything on the site this week. I'll certainly be digging deeper into those stats at the weekend though. To put it into context, these two bots appear to have been responsible for something like 500K hits. This is a significant chunk of the 1400K hits the stats show as the total for this month.

This is clearly unacceptable, so I'm going to be doing something about it

As a side issue, the caching changes I made the other day to try and improve things have had to be taken off-line. They were causing major problems with the log in/log out process and effectively meant it was practically impossible to log off.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    After reviewin site statistics that AthenaOfDelphi shared with me it seems that main cause for slow loading of PGD are two bots which are causing huge trafic load out site. It is even posible that they are using most of the sites bandwich.
    We were discusing about blocking these bots but unfortunatly this probably won't be an easy job.
    Well, you have the bots IP so you can trace to their operator. They could be contacted to in order to make them stop.

Blog Entries
    I've banned three 32 address netblocks... all registered to the ahrefs bot and all operating from the softlayer.com cloud service. Hopefully that will greatly reduce the server load.

Blog Entries
    Server load has been greatly reduced. We were consistently being restricted... that no longer appears to be the case. I am finding the site more responsive and less prone to big long pauses when I start surfing it. Please let me know how you're finding it.

Thanks

Today I still expirienced intitial long puase.
    Surfing the site still seems a bit slow but it is definitly better than it was.

Blog Entries
    Ok, thanks for the feedback guys, I'll let it run for a while and have another poke around the logs and things

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123