Quote Originally Posted by Relfos View Post
There was documentation before. The wiki I had got attacked by spammers, and since no one was really using it, I removed it.
I think that the lack of proper documentation is the main reason why ypur game engine isn't popular. Nobody wants to use game engine where you have to gues what certain methods doe, how to implement certain feature and why your code doesen't work as intended. Almost imposible to track such bugs since you don't know if it is a bug in the engine, a bug in your yode or you just used wrong implementation.
I know this dificulties from my expirience when I was trying to make a game about five years ago using Truevision 3D game engine. At first I was using Truevision 3d version 6.3 but later moved to version 6.5 due to some additional features that I wanted in my game. Now since version 6.3 did have a decent documentation I was progressing steadily. But since version 6.5 has no documentation my development progression literally stopped. But later on when development on Truevision 3D game engine has ceased I abandoned the development of my game.
Not so long later I have found PGD and joined here. From that time on I try to learn as much about the game development I can regardless of the area. Reason? I wanna know enough to be able to make my own game engine if needed. But that doesen't mean I'll go and try to do it on my own. So I must say that I'm quite exited so I could be a part of making PGDCE since I know I'll learn a lot.

And finally, I ask, is there really a need for a full engine for pascal developers?
Why there wouldn't be? As long as there are pascal game developers there will be need for pascal based engines.
Now you may say there are existing game engines which aren't necessarily written in pascal but can be used with it. So why don't we use those?
Sorry for my answer to be the question but: Why did you make your own game engine instead of using one of existing ones?

I think for most pascal users something like ZenGL is enough
Are you underestimating pascal game developers?
Are you implying that pascal game developers aren't capable of making games which will require much more powerfull game engine?

developing a 3d game costs lots of money and is out of scope for most devs (just to give you an idea, I already invested like 5k thousand into my 3d mmorpg).
If it is so why is there bunch of individual Indie developers who are making 3D based games using Unity game engine which isn't even for free or some similar engines?
Belive it or not but assets for 2D game can also be quite expensive and I know few games where their developers spent over 5k on game assets.

[QUOTE=Relfos;146032]Finally, my plans for my current engine was to forget about the "pascal" part, since I concluded the market was too small and I had decided to start distributing the engine as a precompiled dll for users of other languages. This will be probably what I will do.[QUOTE]

Bare in mind that doing so you might alienate even more pascal game developers.

I guess if you guys really want to make this community engine I can help with some stuff, but I can't really commit myself to it.
Any help will be apreatiated. Even if you only share your expirience that you gathered during development of your engine it will come in handy to us.