Thread: About the goal of this engine

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi, AthenaOfDelphi, you replied at same time as me

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
    The fact is, everyone has different desires and aims. Relfos, I looked at your engine and I was put off by the commercial aspect and the lack of available documentation. The lack of documentation has put me off a lot of the projects.
    My engine has been free/open source for almost two years now. And I already said in this topic, if there is no documentation for a project, why not ask the developer for documentation instead of reinventing the wheel?
    Btw, Castle has all documentation you need, and mine too, just not online, if anyone would ask I could send it by email.

I'm looking at this as an opportunity to learn. It's been said that this should have happened ages ago and it should have, but the fact is no one has organised it until now. I've taken those first steps because I've got games I want to write but I need to learn some stuff first. This project will give me that chance (and anyone else who wants to join in), and well... to the best of my knowledge it's the first time this community has worked together on anything like this.
    If you want to make games, please don't write engines. Otherwise you won't be making a game soon.
    I'm not sure what kind of games you want to make, but really, making a engine is not the right path.
    Make an engine only if you want to learn about this kind of stuff, otherwise pick up an existing solution.
    And if you want to learn, and if you don't know much about this kind of stuff yet, take into consideration that this would be years of learning, not months. Just modern graphics programming has enough material to keep you occupied for years, and a game engine is more than just graphics.

It may be ambitious, but I'm planning on having some fun with this. I hope we can surprise the doubters and produce something that really shows off this community and the talent that exists within it. If the enthusiasm that has been shown thus far continues, then I'm pretty confident we will produce the goods.
    I have no doubt that this project can be done, given enough time.
    But of course, it is time spent that could have been spent making games with existing solutions.
    Or contributing to an existing solution.

Think, in 2015 you can either have:
    - An incomplete rudimentar engine, not suitable for serious projects
    - Or a game made with current solutions
    - Or existing solutions extended with advanced stuff, ready to make advanced stuff

Btw, this link is a good read for anyone who is interested in making games
    http://scientificninja.com/blog/write-games-not-engines
    Last edited by Relfos; 04-07-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    www.pascalgameengine.com - Crossplatform 3D game engine