Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
There is a demand on high-quality cross platform engines. No matter what language was used and even what language a game should be written on.
I disagree, the demand for traditional engines in 2014 is extremely small.
It seems that you are not familiiar with the current indie scene, stuff like UDK/Unity is in a completly different level than a traditional engine, allows for way faster development with their integrated editors, keeps people away from low level stuff, and has way higher produtivity than doing a game in C++ or Pascal.
A traditional engine in current times is a niche, a powerful pascal engine is a niche within a niche within a niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
This question was asked by many developers including myself.
Seems that the answer is - no one interested to "help someone" with his engine/library.
Seems the xkcd picture I posted is perfect for this situation/mindset then.
For now let's ignore that I also have my own engine, let's think that I'm just a newbie pascal developer or something.
But look here, this guy developed this Castle engine recently from what I've seen.
He created a public repository, wrote lots of documentation and tools, made a forum, etc.
Seems the setup is perfect for some guys to go in and transform this into a community project, does not matter that right now it only has one developer.
Actually this kind of stuff works much better if it is started just from one guy who knows who to design stuff, rather than 5 or 6 guys who each have different ideas of a engine concept.

I keep hearing people refering to the existing engines as hobbyist sole developer projects, and talking about the need for a powerful engine.
This seems that an assumption is made that a project done by a single guy does not have enough quality for "serious" stuff.
Yeti I did not even see a single mention of why current engines are not "powerful" enough, or that they lack feature X or Y.
Even if a specific feature was lacking, it would be easier to implement it an existing engine (assuming the codebase is modular enough, which mine is, and I would guess that all others also are) than to write a new engine from scratch.

Saying that no one is interested in "helping someone with his engine" is a bit sad.
So why should other people be interested in helping this specific project if the people evolved are against helping in other existing projects and instead have intentions of reinventing wheels?

It seems to me that you guys are implying that TERRA, Castle and others projects (which I did not search yet, more might exist) were made by incompetent developers, to the point that the codebase is so horrific that it is impossible to improved upon. I don't know the current state of GLScene, but heck, it would even be more produtive to port that one to current tech than to write a new one (if it is abandoned, I'm not sure, as I said I'm out of the lopo).