Thread: About the goal of this engine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The TERRA Engine is quite nice, we've worked with it 2 years ago and even tried to port to XE2 (you may remember that or even find that branch ;-) but because the code didn't match our (to be honest quite high) code standard - if you compiled the engine you'd end up with a lot of "warnings" (despite the compiled engine worked well) we have switched over to unity *cough*.
    We would be very happy to see it coming "back" with a proper code base - and if you'd just take a look a the complexity of the engine, Relfos is just right: it does need a lot of more than implementing a 3d engine to be a game engine....

Btw: Relfos, congrats for your Minimon 3D game!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The TERRA Engine is quite nice, we've worked with it 2 years ago and even tried to port to XE2 (you may remember that or even find that branch ;-) but because the code didn't match our (to be honest quite high) code standard - if you compiled the engine you'd end up with a lot of "warnings" (despite the compiled engine worked well) we have switched over to unity *cough*.
    Hi Dennis, I remember you yes, that was a long time ago!
    If buying the Unity pro license was not problem or the free version was enough, then yeah, moving to Unity is actually a very good move, mine engine (and all other open source engines) are nothing compared to it, they have a quite huge and capable team always improving it. Just a pity that they did not yet release a proper GUI system and people still have to do their own solution or buy a third party GUI system :\

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Btw: Relfos, congrats for your Minimon 3D game!
    Thanks, I'm working on the final details now, improving the graphic and stuff, once I release it I will announce

By the way, now I found something that got me even more puzzled about this community project!
    I decided to go to google and search to see what kind of engines are there for pascal, because I've been out of loop for a while, and new things could have appeared.
    And in the first page of results, there was this...

http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/

Now I look at the page, I see an engine that seems to be in advanced state, and totally free to use.
    No only that, it seems to have lots of documentation, as that seems the problem most people were talking about mine.
    Seems to be done by a single developer, I look at the forums, well, they are a bit dead.
    So why people are not using it?

This engine did not exist some years ago, I think, at least I never knew about it.
    It seems to me that this engine is in quite good state to be improved upon, might lack some features that mine was, but in the other hand seems to have lots of documentation, which would help a lot to get people into it.

So why would anyone reinvent the wheel when they could just team up and help this dev?
    I'm pretty sure he would be happy if people offered to help develop his engine, did anyone contact him?
    Last edited by Relfos; 04-07-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    www.pascalgameengine.com - Crossplatform 3D game engine