Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Csfml.pas

PSFML - SFML (Simple Fast Multimedia Library) for Pascal

sfml-logo.png

PSFML
    - SFML (Simple Fast Multimedia Library) for Pascal

Download

PSCML is a C/C++ library based off of CSFML to allow Pascal and other languages the ability to interact with and use the SFML library.

The purpose of PSFML is to be a better link between Pascal and SFML than CSFML was, and also fixes some issues encountered with CSFML, namely the fact that in Delphi is not able to use structs returned as function results from c/c++.
    Last edited by drezgames; 06-07-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Hi Paul,

Thx. Update with some examples coming soon. So I can test and make sure I got everything just right.

Blog Entries
    Wow - I've seen sfml used to great effect in Ludum dare compos. Have you been in touch with the SFML devs to have it listed on their site? It'd be an asset to them to have an extra language be supported after all, and I'll be looking forward to those examples to see if SFML is something I will be picking up in future
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Hi, yea SFML is cool. Its was certainly easier to compile the C/C++ sources vs the others I've tried. It coded/structured in a style similar to my own which makes it also easier for me to work with and way easier to import and use in my project. I am working on the examples, but having a bit of a problem with the event structure:

Code:
    typedef union
    {
        ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
        // Member data
        ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
        sfEventType            type; ///< Type of the event
        sfSizeEvent            size;
        sfKeyEvent             key;
        sfTextEvent            text;
        sfMouseMoveEvent       mouseMove;
        sfMouseButtonEvent     mouseButton;
        sfMouseWheelEvent      mouseWheel;
        sfJoystickMoveEvent    joystickMove;
        sfJoystickButtonEvent  joystickButton;
        sfJoystickConnectEvent joystickConnect;
    } sfEvent;
    Here is the delphi version of this that I have:

Code:
      { TsfEvent }
      TsfEvent = record
        case Integer of
          0: (cType          : TsfEventType);
          1: (size           : TsfSizeEvent);
          2: (key            : TsfKeyEvent);
          3: (text           : TsfTextEvent);
          4: (mouseMove      : TsfMouseMoveEvent);
          5: (mouseButton    : TsfMouseButtonEvent);
          6: (mouseWheel     : TsfMouseWheelEvent);
          7: (joystickMove   : TsfJoystickMoveEvent);
          8: (joystickButton : TsfJoystickButtonEvent);
          9: (joystickConnect: TsfJoystickConnectEvent);
      end;
    ctype, and size are returning values, but for some reason key is not. I've checked and rechecked the structure, alignment, etc. Not sure what the problems is at the moment. key.code is always zero but the sfEvtKeyPressed event is returned, just not the key code value. Is there anything wrong with this structure?

Blog Entries
    Hmm, I'm on linux and debugging under wine doesnt really appeal to me. Would it be possible to get the source for a test app of some description? I should have time to play with it tomorrow if you're still having trouble with it.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Hi, sure here ya go: cfml2_testbed. Thanks. At the moment I am at a lost as to why keyboard event codes are not returning properly. If I set it to some value before the poll event call, afterwards its always set to ZERO (which is sfKeyA in the enum structure). Also included is an updated cfml2.pas file.

UPDATE: Alright, I think I found the problem. Turns out the enum size was causing the problem. It needs to be: {$MINENUMSIZE 4}. So I will get the header fixed up now, make some examples and push up a new version soon.
    Last edited by drezgames; 04-07-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hey there piradyne - took the liberty of modifying your header so it plays nice on linux and with the default library layout. I stuck in a tar.gz up here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yiv2r0m13j...csfml_2.tar.gz

I put the testbed program in it too along with the assets it needs. I should point out the .so files in there are for csfml2 for 64 bit gcc. If you're on a 32 bit box - you're going to want to replace 'em for the appropriate versions.

And a quick screenie of everything working more or less as it should: Screenshot-1.jpg

Edit: Almost forgot to look at this keyboard problem... Be right back with an update once I have that nailed

Edit2: Solved it!

Code:
    type     
      TsfKeyCode = longword;
    And in the testbed:
    Code:
    writeln('KeyCode: ',SwapEndian(event.key.code));
    It has an offset of 1 but I guess you can't get everything XD
    Last edited by code_glitch; 05-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    So, quick update with everything working... Albeit with a bit of a kludge - if anyone has a way to do this properly please do chime in. What I've done is this:

Header:
    Code:
    function  bad_sfRenderWindow_pollEvent(renderWindow: PsfRenderWindow; event: PsfEvent): Boolean; cdecl; external CSFML2_LIB_GRAPHICS; external name 'sfRenderWindow_pollEvent'; 
    function sfRenderWindow_pollEvent(renderWindow: PsfRenderWindow; event: PsfEvent): Boolean; Overload;
    And in the implementation section:
    Code:
    function  sfRenderWindow_pollEvent(renderWindow: PsfRenderWindow; event: PsfEvent): Boolean; 

begin 
        sfRenderWindow_pollEvent := bad_sfRenderWindow_pollEvent(renderWindow, event); 
        event^.key.code := SwapEndian(event^.key.code) + 1; 
    end;
    And now the testbed works flawlessly on my system I've bundled it all up so if you're on a 64 bit linux system - see here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0x4krmxbd...rdfixed.tar.gz

Having seen the testbed code - I'm quite tempted to pick this up as an API for some really quick n dirty development (ala ludum dare ) nice work piradyne

Edit/Disclaimer: for my 'kludge' to work, 32 bit users may have to change from longword to a 32 bit equivalent. And systems with a different endian-ness may need to remove the swapendian call... But hey - I don't have my username for no reason at all
    Last edited by code_glitch; 05-07-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Ahh cool. In the updated header I had changed the types to enum and set the min enum size to 4 which solved the keycode issue on my end (at least for delphi). The next problem (there is always a problem, haha) is how Delphi handles function result for a structure. I found this reference:
    http://rvelthuis.de/articles/articles-convert.html (go down to the return types section)

If you call any of the routines that return a record value you will find that they do not work.... Arrrrrrrg! I've been trying to sort this out using the advance in that article but to no avail. The problem is that (at least in Delphi XE6) it simply will not let you type cast the Int64 type to anything ... other than a record that just so happens to be the same size as the Int64.... freaking Arrrrrg! So the sfVectorXXX types will work fine using this methods, but any other structure larger than Int64, Delphi will just say "invalid typecast". I have not tested this on any other Pascal compiler so not sure if it will be a problem say on FPC or not. But, code_glitch if you can check this it would be much appreciated.

The only solution that I know of is the change the signature of the routines on the c side. I really do not want to have to do this which then means I have more work to keep them up to date and then the same for all the other platforms. Oh my... what started out a looking like a fast and simple solution is turning into a small nightmare... Such as life however... good times, good times. Haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast