Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GUNS - Reloaded

GUNS - Reloaded

A long time ago, there was GUNS, a DelphiX example game written in a very short amount of time, for years it sat on my website being happily downloaded at a steady pace (which still continues to this day)

One day, I decided to make a real game out of the basic idea..

[size=18px]GUNS Reloaded[/size]

Here's the basic idea.

You are an Alien in charge of a squad of extremely powerful rocket tanks.
    Each tank has a large plasma cannon which has infinite ammunition.. this amuniton generates over time and fills a reserve of a maximum of 5 shots at any time.

Each tank has a very powerful shield which absolutely nothing can penetrate and serves as protection from all hazards. However while the shield is active, you cannot fire.

Each tank has a limited amount of fuel which is consumed as the tanks' rockets are fired to give the tank altitude in order to move around. Tanks in contact with the ground cannot move.

Your opponent is another Alien Squad Commander with an equally strong team of Rocket Tanks.

Your mission is to destroy the tanks belonging to your opponent whilst keeping yours from harms way.

Each mission is played out on or near the Earth. Sometimes in the countryside, sometimes in the cities, sometimes the moon.. whereever the battle takes you.

You are not alone in the war, you have support from an orbiting mothership which can send additional items for your use.

A shield recharger. This large metallic ball is launched from the orbiter and crashes into the ground near to the tank which requested it. As it draws near, lightning arcs between the recharger and the gun, instantly de-activating it leaving it helpless and vulnerable until the charging is complete. Up to 4 tanks can be recharged at once. The recharger is not fussy however, it will recharge the enemy if they are near enough.

A fuel drop. The rocket fuel which powers the massive jets needed to haul the tanks around is highly explosive and must be handled with care. With this in mind, fuel is delivered via a dropship which carefully navigates it's way through the atmosphere toward the tank which called it. Once the fuel is safely delivered, the dropship returns to the orbiting mothership. However, if the fuel canisters are hit by weaponfire they explode destroying anything unlucky enough the be caught in the blast.

Reinforcements. If you lose a tank, you can ask for a new one. This new tank will be sent to the location of the tank which requested it. Be aware that any reinforcements are costly and will be deducted from your score at the end of the mission.

Air Strike. If things are a little too difficult for you and you feel that you need help from on high, you can call in an air strike. It will be sent to your current location so be careful to be out of the way when it arrives. Any unshilded tank will be destroyed utterly. Air strikes are deducted from your final score.

When fighting, you should take care, the locations used to host the battle are often the homes of ambient beings. These vary from place to place but may include any of the following.

Goats. These live on the hills and mountain sides. They sit there and occasionally move about.

Cows. These are supid animals, soon to be turned into steaks. They mull around fields grazing and performing vital bodily functions.

Birds. These fly in the sky with apparently no concern about the ensuing battle.

Pedestrians. These walk about in the cities and towns. They amble from place to place, walking to work, to the shops etc.

Cars. These live on the roads of the cities and towns, they come in different shapes and sizes in a veriety of colours.

The military. The humans do not take too kindly to aliens visiting their planet and unleashing their weapons upon one-another so they attempt to intervene. Helecopters, Fighter planes, Jeeps, Tanks and soldiers will attempt to stop you if the amount of carnage on the local area gets too high.

Killing an ambient creature will deduct points from your final score. Different creatures have different values and the amount deducted is reflected by this.

Killing military does not deduct from your score, but it does not increase it either. Killing the military however makes the military angry.. so they send even more military to stop you.

Scoring.
    At the end of each mission you will be rewarded points for the number of Tanks wich remain, the amount of fuel they have left and the amount of sheilds remaining.
    Then the number of shield rechargers, fuel drops and reinforcements will be taken into account.
    Finally, the ambient creature cost is taken into account.

There are some other features which I'm planning like Radar and perhaps a roving camera..

Screen shots will follow.

GUNS - Reloaded

Hmm this sounds a bit like like something I ran across during a random surfing session, a few weeks ago. I'm clueless about a name, but it had something similar where you had to abduct people and do all kinds of things aliens normally do when they visit earth.
    It looked pretty cool though. Iirc there wasn't a whole lot of info, but the screens spoke about the army fighting you if you got spotted, and there was even a superhero in the extra missions, to fight you off.

In any case, yours seems to revolve around aliens vs aliens battling out on or near earth, so it may be a whole different game altogether. Looking forward to the screenshots, though

GUNS - Reloaded

New Site uploaded.

GUNS Reloaded now has its own site.

http://www.cerebral-bicycle.co.uk/reloaded/guns.html

The site is a work in progress, it'll be updated from time to time as the game nears completion.

I'd appreciate any constructive comments

BTW, I put this together in one day so it's not gonna be perfect.
    All graphics were produced using Xara Xtreme.

Blog Entries

GUNS - Reloaded

Cool, love the illustrations.

Is there a battle server and PvP games planned in the near future?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

GUNS - Reloaded

No screenshots
    The site does look nice the only problem I had is it looks like the size of the normal ‘image link’ and the mouse over ‘image link’ isn’t the same. (the table under it changes its size)
    [size=9px]BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*
    <br />tv b+ DI++ D+ e++ h+ G-
    <br />END GEEK CODE BLOCK[/size]
    <br />Create your own GeekCode block at: <a href="">...</a>

GUNS - Reloaded

No Screen shots just yet :-) They'll come soon.

There are some issues with the site, the rollover images should be centered within the table cells, but as IE and Firefox seem to use different units to measure pixels, the sizes are different for the different browsers... I've also noticed some versions of Firefox have a problem rendering the IFrame in the wrong place, even though it's within a Table and there are no absolute co-ordinates used.. I think it's not updating the position of the IFrame when the Table adjusts to fit the images in. Bloody Browser!..

I did some more work on the game last night, attempting to make a countryside level.. it's amazing how hard it is to make a level look organic and not cartoony. Even though I'm not sure what the Countryside level will be like, I basically want to get it sorted so I can blow goats up. :twisted:

GUNS - Reloaded

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    I basically want to get it sorted so I can blow goats up. :twisted:
    As one of my favourite bands once sang "Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell!"
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

GUNS - Reloaded

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    I basically want to get it sorted so I can blow goats up. :twisted:
    After implementing my Sheeps (in catapults) I spent quite a lot of time testing how they react to the bombs (and that’s when I decided to add the SheepsAside bonus)
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*

GUNS - Reloaded

I've updated the site with some screenshots.

As things progress, I'll update with more.

They don't really show a clear indication of the gameplay yet.. As things come together, I'll post some more.

GUNS - Reloaded

Whoo flashy

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast