Thread: Dynamic in-game object creation and manipulation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Then I'm afraid I can't help you out further without seeing more code. Best thing would be access to your whole game so I can try to debug it.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Yep - whatever is going wrong doesn't appear to be connected (at least entirely) with what you've posted so far - I will note however that :

Code:
                     freeandnil(bullets[i]);
                     if i=numofbullets-1 then
                        dec(numofbullets)
                     else
                     begin
                          for j:=i+1 to numofbullets-1 do
                              bullets[j-1]:=bullets[j];
                          dec(numofbullets);
                     end;
    is convoluted and a mess - why free the bullet at all? just fill your array with created bullet objects and just have a new boolean property of TBullet called 'active'. Then you can simply do :

Code:
    {go through the array and create a TBullet object with 'active' set to false for all objects as part of your game initialization}

if (plshoot=true) and (plcanshoot=true) then
    begin
       I := 0;
       while Bullet[I].active do
          I := I + 1;
       if I > high(Bullet) then exit;
       Bullet[I].active := true;
       Bullet[I].Xplace := Player.Left;
       Bullet[I].Yplace := Player.Top;
    end;

for I := 0 to numofbullets-1 do
    if bullets[I].active then
    begin
       bullet[I].YPlace := bullet[I].YPlace-4;
       if bullet[I].YPlace < 10 then
          bullet[I].Active := false;
    end;
    Then go through the array and only render 'active' bullets - yes you'll be skipping over 'inactive' bullets but that's still loads faster than constantly creating/destroying objects.

An optimization of this would to be to treat the array like a ring-buffer - then by its very nature the start index is the oldest active bullet and the end index is the newest bullet - only iterate over these - still you'll itterate over some inactive bullets but it'll be much faster than constantly keeping the array tightly packed - you could also use a linked list but really unless you've got thousands of bullets there's no need to care performance wise.

There are various reasons why you'd want to keep an array tightly packed - perhaps it needs to be kept sorted (but there are better structures such as linked lists) or perhaps you have a need to copy a continuous block of memory for some reason (uploading vertex data to a GPU) but you don't need either of these.

Also bare in mind that there's no reason you can't have two container structures - a flat array and a linked list - scan the flat array for an inactive bullet - set it to active and add a reference to a linked list. If the bullet is to be 'destroyed' set it to inactive and remove it from the linked list - this way you have a flat array for 'storage' and the linked list for optimal iteration over active elements (linked lists are slow to index but are very fast for deletions/insertions - especially in your case where you delete from anywhere in the list but only add to the end)

Even better have two linked lists - an active one and an inactive one - then you no longer have to scan for an active bullet or create one - you just remove one from the inactive list and add it to the active list and visa versa - a slow object creating, array shuffling operation becomes a case of setting a few pointers.

--

But : these are only suggestions to think about - it's overkill at this stage - as SilverWarrior suggests we'd need to see basically all of your code to tell you what's wrong.
    Last edited by phibermon; 20-12-2015 at 06:01 PM.