Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Walking with physics

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    Really impressive, but hilarious too.
    If you think this is hilarious then I strongly suggest you check game named Sumotori Dreams (http://www.gravitysensation.com/sumotori/) which is implementation of similar algorithm in a Sumo Wrestling game.

now i'm reading cartwheel-3d sources, as far as I understand this is latest project of that research group
    https://code.google.com/p/cartwheel-3d/

not sure if this is a completely correct conversion of cartwheel sources, but at least it's a starting point

cartwheel-2d.zip
    Last edited by galok; 21-01-2016 at 07:48 PM.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Awesome stuff man! - it's a complex topic and there's no 'right' way as such - if it looks and feels good - be happy I have an implementation of a similar, perhaps older method in my engine but it's not robust yet, still gives some odd results now and then - I've also done work on an implicit skinning implementation (https://vimeo.com/105364564) that would go hand in hand with this for some truly next-gen character animation! but it's just for research - DQ/LBS for now.

The euphoria engine produces similar results to this but from what I understand it works in a very different way - that's a trained neural network with full contact support - no 'fix-ups' are needed - the animations from the network don't produce intersecting results as in euphoria there would be collision and the character would trip and likely fall.

However euphoria requires training for a given body - it can't 'learn' from existing animation cycles as such - they can be used to train the network, provide joint forces etc so the network can become better by using them as an input but euphoria isn't aware of them - it doesn't know what 'feet' are - a Euphoria training session without user guidence might produce a character that tried to break its fall by throwing its head as quickly as possible at the ground - the cool effects in Euphoria are emergent properties of a trained neural network and in fact without such a system you're aaaalways going to have odd behaviour now and then - but I think with proper joint constraints and some way of defining a point of failure - a time to go rag-doll - it'd be good enough for games

Alas we don't know have any code samples
    Last edited by phibermon; 21-01-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

phibermon, Thank you. However, i will seek further for better robustness. Implicit skinning is very impressive, i would like to use it in my applications. Your knowledge in field of euphoria engine is most full of what I heard, can you share an information source?

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    What I've gleaned over the years - familiarity with exposed elements in script hooking - descriptions of function and a convo or two with a friend in the game industry that was reviewing such solutions - exact specifics elude me but I do know that their approach involves machine learning in order to give high quality results in complex 3D situations - be that in research, genetic algorithms or a functioning neural network. There's probably much in common between this solution and theirs - but their approach produces direct quality results - it doesn't need 'fix ups' - I think at least the one that shipped with GTA4 - there was some 'fixing' of feet but that was more slope and minor height adjustment.

I believe there's more to the transition between animation and physic aware rigs than just lerping in an animation manager - and different paths for special cases
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123