Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Library recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmeister View Post
    (Ñuño Martínez will probably say Allegro ).
    Rickmeister knows me very well.

Allegro is just an alternative to SDL. It does everything SDL does but in a different way. That's all. I like it more than SDL so that's why I use and recommend (and support) it.

Anyway, will you continue with Tile Studio? It would be great to make it work on Linux.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 14-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    No signature provided yet.

I remember Allegro from a long time ago. Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of trouble getting my game to work in Lazarus due to the huge amount of inline assembly.

However, I did get Tile Studio to work, sort of. It's still far from usable, but it actually started.

I'll add it to github once the worst bugs are fixed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wiering View Post
    I remember Allegro from a long time ago. Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of trouble getting my game to work in Lazarus due to the huge amount of inline assembly.
    Allegro.pas fixes that.

Glad to know you're working with TileStudio. Keep up the good work.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I started working on this again and want to finally get this game on to Steam.

I was eventually able to get the fake fullscreen working, so thanks SilverWarior for suggesting that!

I wasn't able to port the game to lazarus (too much assembly and other hacks that sadly don't work in lazarus), so I'm sticking with Delphi 5.

Now I need to change the MIDI sound into streamed audio (.ogg or .mp3), which is unfortunately not supported by UnDelphiX.

So does anyone have a suggestion on what library to use? It doesn't have to do much other than play background music (looping without gap), should sometimes suddenly change into a different song (my songs have 2 different endings). Should be free (but not GPL) and work in Delphi 5.

Hi!
    Have you checked BASS Sound Library from https://www.un4seen.com/
    It can be used for free as long as you are not earning any profit from your project. But for commercial usage you need to purchase one of the valid licenses.

The thing that I love about BASS is that it has support for lots of sound formats even including support for playing Module music files.
    Another great thing about BASS Sound Library is that it supports wide array of platforms. While this might not seem very important to you since using Delphi 5 you are basically limited only to Windows platform. But it can still be an advantage because if in the future you chose to use some moder version of Delphi to try and develop another game for some other platforms as well you will already have good knowledge of using sound library that supports that platform.

The only thing is that I'm not sure if BASS sound library still support so old Delphi versions as Delphi 5. But since it is free to use for non-commercial use I strongly suggest you give it a try.

EDIT: BASS Sound Library is compatible with FreePascal so if in the future you decide to switch from Delphi to FPC/Lazarus you can keep using the same library.
    http://wiki.freepascal.org/Multimedia_Programming#BASS
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 30-12-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Most used is probably OpenAL because it's freeware.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Hi!
    Have you checked BASS Sound Library from https://www.un4seen.com/
    It can be used for free as long as you are not earning any profit from your project. But for commercial usage you need to purchase one of the valid licenses.
    Thanks for the suggestion, however the reason I'm bringing the game to Steam is to sell it, so that would be commercial use.

Quote Originally Posted by JC_ View Post
    Most used is probably OpenAL because it's freeware.
    Thanks, that's probably the best option then. I found http://www.noeska.com/doal/ and already got sound playing on Delphi 5, now just to figure out how to get it to repeat a stream.

Anyway, do you guys have any games on Steam? If so, what parts did you implement?
    I'm wondering whether to do global leaderboards or not. I used to have them in my Flash games and they got hacked all the time.
    In my last game I only implemented achievements, spent quite a lot of time on them, but it looks like very few people are trying to unlock them, the easiest one (that anyone who gets half way through the first level should get) only has 60%! Makes me wonder if people who buy the game actually play it?

Anyway, do you guys have any games on Steam?
    I was planning to get my current project on steam when finished but I'll probably just stick to itch.io.
    For some time now you have to pay 100$ to publish on steam even if it's a free game..

Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    I was planning to get my current project on steam when finished but I'll probably just stick to itch.io.
    For some time now you have to pay 100$ to publish on steam even if it's a free game..
    Yes I know, I just payed it for my next game. But I think it is worth the exposure, last time I earned those 100$ back in the first month.

Good to see that itch.io can now handle EU VAT (with the Collect & Pay Later model).

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I started working on this again and want to finally get this game on to Steam.

I was eventually able to get the fake fullscreen working, so thanks SilverWarior for suggesting that!

I wasn't able to port the game to lazarus (too much assembly and other hacks that sadly don't work in lazarus), so I'm sticking with Delphi 5.

Now I need to change the MIDI sound into streamed audio (.ogg or .mp3), which is unfortunately not supported by UnDelphiX.

So does anyone have a suggestion on what library to use? It doesn't have to do much other than play background music (looping without gap), should sometimes suddenly change into a different song (my songs have 2 different endings). Should be free (but not GPL) and work in Delphi 5.
    Delphi 5 is pretty old. Did you tried Tokio? There is the free starter edition at Embarcadero's website. I installed it recently and has some differences with the old Delphi I know (I got stuck with Delphi 6) but it is not hard to upgrade my knowledge (but it is being a bit tricky to make my Allegro wrapper compatible with it though).

Glad to see you're still fighting!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast