Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MinGRo game engine

One thing overall I might suggest both for the examples in Allegro.Pas and Mingro: make them Lazarus projects instead of a single monolithic makefile. This will ultimately be far easier for everyone, on all platforms. It's far easier to change any settings you might need to within Lazarus than it is to scroll though makefiles and try to figure out exactly where things are going wrong if you run into a build failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
    make them Lazarus projects instead of a single monolithic makefile. This will ultimately be far easier for everyone, on all platforms. It's far easier to change any settings you might need to within Lazarus than it is to scroll though makefiles and try to figure out exactly where things are going wrong if you run into a build failure.
    Wouldn't that mean that people would be forced to use Lazarus IDE while now you can compile the whole project by using Free Pascal alone. This in turn allows people to use any code editor they want.

Well, I wasn't suggesting that he has to delete the makefiles from the repository. He could of course (and should) leave them there for anyone who wants to build it that way. I'm just saying it's far easier to make project-specific settings adjustments when you have actual project files to work with.
    Last edited by Akira13; 18-11-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Just uploaded a new alpha release. Pretty happy with it. Look at it: https://sourceforge.net/projects/min...les/1.alpha.1/

I'll take a break now, until the next LudumDare. I'll still programming but will be stuff for my website because it is a big mess.

One thing overall I might suggest both for the examples in Allegro.Pas and Mingro: make them Lazarus projects instead of a single monolithic makefile. This will ultimately be far easier for everyone, on all platforms. It's far easier to change any settings you might need to within Lazarus than it is to scroll though makefiles and try to figure out exactly where things are going wrong if you run into a build failure.
    May be useful, but that mean the examples directory will became a (small) mess with duplicated names. Anyway, I'll think about it and I'll do something with the next Allegro.pas release (no date though).
    No signature provided yet.

As I've said in the Allegro's thread, I think I've found a way to do this in an ordered way.

File dialog and more!

Project is far to dead.

After releasing a new Allegro.pas version I'm working in MinGRo. I want to release a new alpha version this Friday, so I can use it in Ludum Dare and TINS.

There are many changes, most subsystems are now more robust and with better API (I think). Some of the latest changes where to fix data loading and configuration management. Previous version was confusing and a bit buggy. Also I've improved the sound subsystem.

So a lot of under-the-hood work fixing bugs and improving design, much with the GUI subsystem which was quite confusing even for me! Now it has a more coherent design, it is easier to use and the map editor have (finally!) a proper file selection dialog:
    200413_202543.png
    It is inspired in the file selector from 3D Construction Kit. I liked it because it is simple. On Windows it is a little bit different: Instead of the "CD", "media" and "mnt" buttons it has 5 buttons for drives.

And see how much has evolved graphically:
    Attachment 1453

Ok, did it. And four hours before Ludum Dare (yay!). If you're curious, visit the project page. And if you test it, let me know what do you think.

I'm quite happy. Today I've finished a simple music sequencer that uses the PSG to generate music, and you can use BASIC Music Meta Language (MML) to generate music. I is quite simple and I'm sure it can be improved, but at the moment you can add music in a very simple way.

But I don't like the PSG sound right now. It doesn't sound very old school. It generates triangular waveforms, and it should generate square ones, like good old micros did. I think this will be the next thing I'll do.

Well, LD didn't go very well, but it and later TINS allowed me to find some bugs in the engine. I fixed three of them and made a new release (1.a.3.1). Note this doesn't includes the new functionality added in TRUNK, they'll be published in version 1.a.4.

As a curiosity, I did a stream showing how I did fixed them in Twitch. I know my English is horrible but some friends joined me and said they enjoyed a bit (well, one said he didn't ).

This can be in the Green Onions: The I-Ching Saga thread, but it is more related with MinGRo so here I am.

These months I was working a lot on the engine, specially fixing bugs. A lot of them were discovered while making the final version of the GO game. The last release is 1.α.4 but I'll release 1.α.4.1 soon (maybe this weekend) to apply all these bugs I've fixed. At the moment they're in the SVN repository.

Most of the bugs are like dude, how is it possible you didn't saw that obvious mistake? Anyway most are fixed, so it is good.

I want to say also that version 1.α.5 will take a while, not only because I have to finish the GO game but also because I made a big decision, I'll not talk about it yet because I know some of you will scream "Don't do it!" but I've really meditate the pros and cons and I think it is the best move.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast