Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: So whatever happened to the whole PGDCE thing?

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The reason it was heavily influenced by Mirage is because he was the only one who really contributed any code.

What's really come out of this is that the vast majority of the site users don't have much to say about the site and seem to have even less interest in generating useful content and such like. I've received a small handful of offers of help, one of which I still have to review, but other than that... nothing.

Which does beg the question, why bother?

Well because looking at the forums there is a steady flow of new posts, but it is really quite depressing that so few people are willing to give a little bit of their time back to help improve the community they probably benefit from. I have no idea how to change that.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

I posted a project in the tutorial forum just a couple of days ago, if that's any consolation!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

And do you mind me asking how long it took to put it together and get it posted? What I'm getting at is they don't have to be epic monsters, just useful

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
    Thanks

And do you mind me asking how long it took to put it together and get it posted? What I'm getting at is they don't have to be epic monsters, just useful
    Only around three hours or so

Blog Entries
    As I've said before, if everyone who is a regular visitor took a small amount of time to write some content for the site... once every year, we'd be brimming with new, regularly updated content.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
    ...One thing I would definitely do immediately (if it was up to me) is completely scrap all use of that nightmarish fake-generics "template" library. Talk about include-file hell! There is no logical reason for anyone to be using anything other than Generics.Collections for their container classes these days, whether on Delphi or FPC/Lazarus. (The FPC version is actually better, BTW.)
    This was a topic of very deep debate, we decided to drop generics, because there are differences between Delphi and FPC on how they tackle them. So, as we wanted to provide an engine for everybody, there are some sacrifices to do and some requirements to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    This was a topic of very deep debate, we decided to drop generics, because there are differences between Delphi and FPC on how they tackle them. So, as we wanted to provide an engine for everybody, there are some sacrifices to do and some requirements to meet.
    FPC is 100% compatible with Delphi-style generics when you use the {$mode Delphi} define though, which you guys did in fact have set for FPC in "PGDCE.inc". So you could have just used the Delphi syntax and not had any issues on either compiler.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
    FPC is 100% compatible with Delphi-style generics when you use the {$mode Delphi} define though, which you guys did in fact have set for FPC in "PGDCE.inc". So you could have just used the Delphi syntax and not had any issues on either compiler.
    we decided to drop generics because we planned to bring the engine to developers on older delphi with no generics.

People are talking here about APIs.. it's unnecessary debate If is somebody making 3D game so it's clear that he will use Unity, Unreal Engine or something like that.
    Using something else is 100% nonsense. For 2D no matter if you have OpenGL 1 or 4.5 and it's question about framework. Simply use something which have living community like SDL or SFML
    because all Pascal engines/frameworks are dead, it's one man show, looks prehistoric or they are super slow - anyway no one is using them.

If there was anything usable so it was ZenGL, but today it's useless also, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    I think we should more focus on making tutorials about various game mechanics like:

• managing game states
    • working/managing with in-game entities
    • path finding algorithms
    • AI
    • procedural assets creation
    • physics
    • and so on
    This is good idea, but instead of tutorials we can create a community which share and improve code and where people can learn something.
    The code should be optimized and easy to use. It has some perspective. I saw interesting things around like Coolsprite (something like Spine 2D) etc, also everyone need particle engine,
    sound manager..

Quote Originally Posted by JC_ View Post
    If is somebody making 3D game so it's clear that he will use Unity, Unreal Engine or something like that.
    Using something else is 100% nonsense.
    Why do you say using something else is nonsense?
    Tell me what would prefer more? Using Unity or Unreal Engine and with it being forced to do most of the programming in some other programming language than Pascal? Or seeing that comparable pascal based game engine is being built so you could do all of the programming in Pascal?
    Well the idea of PGDCE is to make the later option a reality. But off course such task isn't trivial and I fear many of PGD members are afraid and insecure in their knowledge in order to participate in such project.

For 2D no matter if you have OpenGL 1 or 4.5 and it's question about framework.
    I strongly disagree with you on this. Even when rendering 2D graphics you could greatly benefit from features available in newer API's.

Simply use something which have living community like SDL or SFML because all Pascal engines/frameworks are dead, it's one man show, looks prehistoric or they are super slow - anyway no one is using them.
    Why do you think all Pascal engines/frameworks are dead? Because there weren't enough interest in using them. And why weren't enough interest from people in using them? One of the reasons is people always saying of how much they suck instead of trying to help improving them. Pretty much like you now.
    The hard truth is that if we don't get together and start working on them nobody will.

This is good idea, but instead of tutorials we can create a community which share and improve code and where people can learn something.
    The code should be optimized and easy to use.
    Why should the posted code be optimized? So that you can only copy and paste it into your project? This way you won't learn much especially because heavily optimized code is often much harder to understand.
    I would recommend that instead of worrying about the posted code being optimized we provide as many possible approaches in solving specific problems. This way we allow people to chose the approach which suites them the most. And that largely depends on their coding style and the rest of the project code.
    Also once people truly understand some gane concepts they will be able to optimize the code on their own. And yes optimizing code for some game concept also heavily depends on the rest of the project code.

And no I'm not one of those people who say "Best optimization is no optimization at all". I myself like to have nicely optimized code but I try to avoid doing any premature optimizations but I still sometimes get carried away with premature optimization. Well nobody is perfect.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast