Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snarlhill defender

Valid points, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777 View Post
    The fishes can come too close together, which doesn't allow to kill the second fish because vigor doesn't regenerate quickly enough. This may seem unfair to players as it's unavoidable no matter the skill.
    During my play-testing I don't remember running into situation where fishes would come to close so that getting hit by one would be avoidable. As far as I have observed when fish spawn either on left or on right side there is always some minimal distance between them which is large enough for you to be able to hit all of them. Sure you need to time the hit on the first one just right but it is doable. As for when you get into "sandwich" between fish from both sides well this can be quite easily avoidable by planning your movements a little bit.
    Now what I do consider unfair is that based on my experience the only way to get combo hit you need to get into the fish "sandwich" in order for them to come close enough so that more than one can be hit at the same time.

In order to avoid above mentioned problem I would recommend varying speed of each individual fish a little bit. This would also make gameplay a little more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777 View Post
    Maybe provide additional visual feedback when losing a life other than a sound (cam shake).
    Would be useful. But I guess that the main reason why all of us would want this immediately is the fact that player health bar sometimes gets obscured by trees due to wrong Z ordering.

Seriously, if any of you all enjoy playing it, I for sure will fix these things! I wasn't expecting people to actually play it!

Do I enjoy playing it? To be honest not really. But that doesn't mean that you should just abandon it.
    I think you should continue working on it even thou only a few people will be interested in playing it. Why? Because by further working on it you will be learning more about game development so when in the future you start working on another game idea you won't be making the same mistakes that you did this time.

If you need someone to bounce some ideas or do some play-testing I'm usually up for it because this can be a learning experience for myself to. In fact I have learned a lot about game development just by interacting with other game developers even when their games were made in other programming languages that I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    As for when you get into "sandwich" between fish from both sides well this can be quite easily avoidable by planning your movements a little bit.
    I had a scenario where the fishes came from the same side. Maybe I wasn't fast enough. Seems like you can hit a fish before it seemingly comes close enough, so maybe that was enough distance. However, the game is not interesting enough for me to go into more testing.
    Existence is pain

Do I enjoy playing it? To be honest not really. But that doesn't mean that you should just abandon it.
    I think you should continue working on it even thou only a few people will be interested in playing it. Why? Because by further working on it you will be learning more about game development so when in the future you start working on another game idea you won't be making the same mistakes that you did this time.
    Learming from mistakes is the only way to learn. Keep failing Thyandyr, it's ok. No one learns something for doing nothing.

If you need someone to bounce some ideas or do some play-testing I'm usually up for it because this can be a learning experience for myself to. In fact I have learned a lot about game development just by interacting with other game developers even when their games were made in other programming languages that I don't know.
    Algos and Technics are language agnostic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12